Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Spring has sprung so time for a new thread. And to get things started Glenfarclas 105. Can't wait to compare it to Ab A'bunadh.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Found a Redbreast 12 CS Batch B1/12. I'm not sure what it's been doing for the past two years, but I was certainly happy to take it in, give it a home.
    Eric

Enthusiast

My first Irish whisky, a bottle of Green Spot.

Advanced Taster

Talisker 10 for $50. I think this is the cheapest price I've ever seen it so I decided to pick it up.

Advanced Taster

Got a bottle of Balcones V Anniversary Single Malt finished in the Brimstone Resurrection Barrel.

Connoisseur

Grabbed a Compass Box Peat Monster 10th and a Flaming Heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Disciple

I didn't buy it but a friend of mine gave me a brand new bottle of Macallan 21 Scotch. It is still in the box. He obtained from an older lady who didn't want it any more. While he thought he might enjoy it, he thought I might enjoy it more. And he knew I would invite him over to a nice dinner and to share.

I have limited Scotch experience but recognize that this a highly sought after bottle and, if purchased, quite expensive.

I would love to share some inside information with him when we open it. It is a 700 ml bottle. Just curious, was/is this size bottle available in the U.S.? Also, is there a way to determine when it was bottled?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I didn't buy it but a friend of mine gave me a brand new bottle of Macallan 21 Scotch. It is still in the box. He obtained from an older lady who didn't want it any more. While he thought he might enjoy it, he thought I might enjoy it more. And he knew I would invite him over to a nice dinner and to share.

I have limited Scotch experience but recognize that this a highly sought after bottle and, if purchased, quite expensive.

I would love to share some inside information with him when we open it. It is a 700 ml bottle. Just curious, was/is this size bottle available in the U.S.? Also, is there a way to determine when it was bottled?
    Not a Macallan guru, but I thought only 750mL allowed by law for sale in the US (along with other set sizes, but not 700mL).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post

Probably obtained from overseas (perhaps duty-free store?) - still, depending on the date when bottled it's still likely excellent Macallan & a handsome gift! Slainte!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

ChainWhip has it: 700 ml would generally be indicative of a bottle purchased outside of the U.S. or duty free. Assuming we are talking about the Macallan Fine Oak 21 (43% abv), the bottle could have been produced anywhere between 2004 and now, and the 750ml bottling would retail in the U.S. for around $280 (more or less, depending on markup and taxes). If the bottle does not say "Fine Oak" on it, please take a picture so we can ogle your multi-thousand dollar limited release.

As for the specific date when it was bottled: There is probably a way to tell from bottling code or the inside of the packaging, but I don't have a lot of experience with ferreting that stuff out.

At any rate, a very generous gift from a friend. Enjoy!
    Eric