Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

First time posting in here, but wanted to share a nice 375ml I found at a local store. Did a little research while I was there and ask the spirits buyer about it. Seemed to fit exactly what I wanted as the weather gets warmer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Definitely not your imagination! That was the first thought I had as well. The smoke is indeed subtle and doesn't compare well to an Islay but he Springbank CS 12 seems more reasonable comparison. As does the Westland American Malt we tried today oddly enough.
    Wow, never thought about comparing the Westland to Springbank but I guess there are some similar hints there.

As for me, it was not a purchase but my coworkers gave me a bottle of Bowmore 12 to mark my last day in my current role. I'm staying with the company and team, but moving offsite to support a local operation so I won't be seeing them as often. I thought it was a pretty cool gesture, considering most of them did not even know the difference between bourbon and scotch before I started educating them

Guru

Probably not as much fruit in the Westland as the Springbank but I need to sit down and try them side by side to decide if it is close.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Nikka Miyagikyo 12. If I enjoy this half as much as I do the Yoichi 15, I'll be in good shape.
    Eric

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Wow, never thought about comparing the Westland to Springbank but I guess there are some similar hints there.

As for me, it was not a purchase but my coworkers gave me a bottle of Bowmore 12 to mark my last day in my current role. I'm staying with the company and team, but moving offsite to support a local operation so I won't be seeing them as often. I thought it was a pretty cool gesture, considering most of them did not even know the difference between bourbon and scotch before I started educating them
    Congrats B! Good fortune to ya in your new role.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

A Faultline Longmorn 21 yr that a good buddy picked up for me on the left coast. I enjoyed it at the GBS Scotch Dive last month, so I'm really looking forward to getting in to this more deeply, soon.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Did something I haven't done in a while. Bought a bottle largely on color alone. It was a Gordon & MacPhail Private Collection bottling of a now closed Speyside distillery called Imperial that was port finished. Same bottle style as the very nice Coal Ila Madeira wood finish bottle that showed up at the recent GBS scotch tasting and was finished off at the last Wednesday tasting.

The similar label caught my eye as did the very nice color of the whisky. Will have to add a picture later as I forgot to take one. Not sure when I will try it but I hope it is as good as that Caol Ila was!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Virtuoso

Decent little spread came home with me this week. Picked up the last two of these Glenlivets in Binny's inventory. I have one open and it's quite the funky sherry bomb.

"A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Those damned whims got me again. Picked up a 22yo Glencadam from The Exclusive Malts series that was bottled at cask strength of 50.4%.

Was not familiar with the distillery so I decided to take a gamble based on some decent reviews.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Those damned whims got me again. Picked up a 22yo Glencadam from The Exclusive Malts series that was bottled at cask strength of 50.4%.

Was not familiar with the distillery so I decided to take a gamble based on some decent reviews.
    I'd be curious to hear what you think. I've been eyeballing abbeywhiskys 22 yo Glencadam since it came out a couple of months ago. I have not jumped on it yet since I don't really know anything about the distillery but I'm starting to be more and more tempted.