Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    A few bottles today that have been on my must try list, but for whatever reason I avoided, so today I decided to buy them all, glenfarclas 105, monkey shoulder and a talisker storm. So far the storm tastes too young, the farclas too one dimensional (even with water) and the shoulder is suprisingly good, something of an aniseed and honey finish too it which I wasnt expecting, not a balanced pour but interesting.
    Maybe its not a scotch night.
    I had Monkey Shoulder with a gourmet doughnut at a place near me that serves whiskey and desserts (odd, yes). Very nice pairing! The anise that you mentioned, along with a bit of fusel spice that I got, really went well with all the sweetness.

Enthusiast

Wow that place sounds amazing, like Willy Wonka for adults.
    I can see the monkey shoulder working with dessert, not that I would of thought of it myself, but yeh its a soft and sweet pour and I get that spice, has a bit of baked pear and cinnamon spice to me, with triple sec citrus thrown in, maybe would work with a custard or cream filled donut?

On the topic of whisky and food, I was drinking yamazaki 12 the other day and it was savoury in a way I hadnt noticed before, I kept thinking roast lamb and rosemary. And last night I tried the talisker storm with fresh shucked oyster which was nice.

Connoisseur

Bought a bottle of Kavalan King Car Concertmaster. This will be my first bottle of Kavalan, and I was forced to choose between this and the Port finished Concertmaster. The interwebz lead me to believe that I made a wise choice, but time and my palate will tell . . .
    Eric

Enthusiast

Found a 2012 Lagavulin 12 yr CS today. $82 OTD. Pretty stoked about that.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    Found a 2012 Lagavulin 12 yr CS today. $82 OTD. Pretty stoked about that.
    As you should be! Nice find and nice price although I am no longer surprised by prices from up there in the land of lakes. Rarely see the 2013 edition here and haven't seen the 2012 since I started looking last year.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    As you should be! Nice find and nice price although I am no longer surprised by prices from up there in the land of lakes. Rarely see the 2013 edition here and haven't seen the 2012 since I started looking last year.
    Lonely shelf full of 2013's are calling me too for a few bucks more. But yea, they're few and far in between for sure.

Advanced Taster

Noticed my Clynelish 14 getting low so picked up another at a small shop at a great price - $45.99. My local Binny's is out and a web search revealed that most Binny's locations are out or low stock. Hope that's not a bad sign...

Also picked up a Yamazaki 12 at the same shop for $42.99. Been wanting to try that one and couldn't resist at that price.
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Apprentice

Not much of a scotch drinker but I had a pour of laphroaig quarter cask last week, and it really stuck with me. Picked up a bottle today.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
    Not much of a scotch drinker but I had a pour of laphroaig quarter cask last week, and it really stuck with me. Picked up a bottle today.
    Welcome down the dark path. Sláinte!
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Well, I finally took the plunge on my "expensive" celebratory whisky purchase of the year. Got a bottle of the 2013 Brora 35. Ultimately, the price/quality got me ($499). I may still get a Caol Ila 30 from K&L, and intend to purchase a Nikka Taketsuru 17 at some point, but that's going to be about it as far as my scotch/whisky expenditures go for the rest of the year.

Now for the fun part: announcing why I purchased the Brora. My wife and I are expecting our first child around the holidays!
    Eric