Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
    Enthusiast

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Oh Binny's 10% off sale has made me a poor man. Funny how that works? Since it's the FWotM, I'll get the Benriach open this week so I can comment on it. The Clynelish was aged in a sherry cask, nice ruddy color to it. More expensive than it should be but I've missed out on sherried Clynelish in the past and at 19 years this would seem to be well-aged. I have to hand it to Blackadder for squeezing every penny they can out of their casks, but I can also say that everything I've had of theirs has been top notch.

So, that Clynelish is going to be open this weekend, right?
    Justin

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Ordered a Scott's Selection Sherry Wood Ardmore 1977/2003. Had a discount code so the total price was less than $150 + shipping.

I'm taking a bit of a gamble with this, but Serge seems to regard older Ardmores extremely highly, and has rated either this or its sister cask highly. I figure it's peated whisky from the late 1970s from a heavily blended distillery . . . Pretty good bet. The non-whiskyfun reviews I was able to find refer to it as "Caol Ila-like" in character, so I'm tentatively hopeful I didn't just waste my money.
    Well, rats. The store contacted me to let me know they had "lost" the bottle in their recent move and had to cancel my order. Anyone want to bet they checked wine-searcher and discovered it was going for like $400 elsewhere? I'll check back on the site a few more times and see if it magically goes up in price (and comes back in stock).

In other annoying news, I never was contacted by that bottle shop to come pick up my Ardbeg Supernova. I know other stores have gotten it locally, so I may still buy a bottle. The hesitance here is that I know of a few mid-late teens Springbanks that are languishing, totally unloved. Specifically, 15, 16, and 17 yr old cask strength stuff. Sure, those aren't the same thing as teh super rare Ardbeg or old school Ardmore, but I am thinking they might be just the cure for what ails me . . .
    Eric

Connoisseur

Good whiskey always cures what ails you.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Advanced Taster

Laphroaig Cairdeas 2014 finally arrived and I got the last bottle on the shelf. Should be more showing up soon.

Advanced Taster

Ordered the new Supernova and a Benriach Solstice this morning. Should be delivered Monday or Tuesday.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Beautiful whiskies Aaron. I too just made a purchase at Binny's, but before I did I was eyeing that Blackadder Clynelish you got there. Unfortunately, it was too much for my wallet so I went with the Clynelish Distiller's Edition. Also picked up a North British 16 year old Grain whisky. Can't wait to see what good Scottish grain whisky tastes like.
    That North British is very tasty stuff for the price; sweet and creamy. I'll look forward to your report! I hope the Clynelish DE goes over better for you than it did for me...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

Kavalan Soloist ex-Bourbon Cask