Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    ChainWhip has it: 700 ml would generally be indicative of a bottle purchased outside of the U.S. or duty free. Assuming we are talking about the Macallan Fine Oak 21 (43% abv), the bottle could have been produced anywhere between 2004 and now, and the 750ml bottling would retail in the U.S. for around $280 (more or less, depending on markup and taxes). If the bottle does not say "Fine Oak" on it, please take a picture so we can ogle your multi-thousand dollar limited release.

As for the specific date when it was bottled: There is probably a way to tell from bottling code or the inside of the packaging, but I don't have a lot of experience with ferreting that stuff out.

At any rate, a very generous gift from a friend. Enjoy!
    It is Fine Oak! Thank you, this helps a lot!

Enthusiast

I bought some Berry's 17 year old Mortlach from Total Wine a few days on impulse.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    I bought some Berry's 17 year old Mortlach from Total Wine a few days on impulse.
    Would you mind giving us your tasting notes when you have a chance to open it? I've been considering purchasing one of these to round out my Mortlach marketing push survival kit, but haven't been able to find any reviews online.
    Eric

Guru

Yes, some tasting notes please.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

It may be awhile, but I guess I could bump this to next bottle opened when I get the chance.

Connoisseur

Another call for tasting notes. I've passed on that bottle (or one just like it) from my local TW on several occasions, primarily because of the color and lack of CS sad to say. But if it's good I'll have to go grab it considering my current Mortlach stash consists of a single Signatory 21 year... rather lean pickings.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Another call for tasting notes. I've passed on that bottle (or one just like it) from my local TW on several occasions, primarily because of the color and lack of CS sad to say. But if it's good I'll have to go grab it considering my current Mortlach stash consists of a single Signatory 21 year... rather lean pickings.
    Lack of CS? The one I have is at cask strength. One reason why I picked it up. Most of the other bottles were 92 proof.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Lack of CS? The one I have is at cask strength. One reason why I picked it up. Most of the other bottles were 92 proof.
    Oh really... I swear the one I saw was not CS. At my TW they have a large lineup of Berry's and the CS versions are mixed throughout. I recall that one not being CS but I could have been wrong. Dang, another reason to buy it now...

Advanced Taster

Bought a bottle of Finlaggan. I want to see how it compares to its more famous kin. I'm going to give some out as blind samples alongside Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Caol Ila.
    Last edited by berto; 03-25-2014 at 13:17.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Oh really... I swear the one I saw was not CS. At my TW they have a large lineup of Berry's and the CS versions are mixed throughout. I recall that one not being CS but I could have been wrong. Dang, another reason to buy it now...
    I know Total Wine also has a Battle Hill bottling of Mortlach @ 14yrs and 43% abv. Unless I hear some pretty amazing things about that one, I'll be giving it a pass. I may take a leap of faith on a similar bottle by G&M (might be a few years older), since Ralfy seems to at least partially recommend G&M's non CS Mortlach offerings. He had a significantly older bottling, though (21 yrs vs 16 or 17 I think).

@zillah: While I appreciate your willingness to consider opening your bottle, I would hate to feel like I had a part in pressuring you to do something you didn't want to. Thank you for even entertaining the possibility though.
    Eric