Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    I bought some Berry's 17 year old Mortlach from Total Wine a few days on impulse.
    Do you have a picture? Barrel # & ABV?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    I know Total Wine also has a Battle Hill bottling of Mortlach @ 14yrs and 43% abv. Unless I hear some pretty amazing things about that one, I'll be giving it a pass. I may take a leap of faith on a similar bottle by G&M (might be a few years older), since Ralfy seems to at least partially recommend G&M's non CS Mortlach offerings. He had a significantly older bottling, though (21 yrs vs 16 or 17 I think).
    I have a G&M 15yo 43% open right now. It's good, but when poured next to a Signatory 18yo @ CS it... well actually it's still good. It's different for sure; the CS bottle tends to POP on the palate whereas the G&M does not, but it still brings great flavor to the table, and it's getting better as it opens up. Only problem is the Signatory was $70 and the G&M $75, so for QP value, the CS takes it by a mile. I'm still glad I have the G&M one though.

I know where a bottle of the G&M 21yo is for $130, but I have a few more CS bottlings to pick up before I consider that one.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I have a G&M 15yo 43% open right now. It's good, but when poured next to a Signatory 18yo @ CS it... well actually it's still good. It's different for sure; the CS bottle tends to POP on the palate whereas the G&M does not, but it still brings great flavor to the table, and it's getting better as it opens up. Only problem is the Signatory was $70 and the G&M $75, so for QP value, the CS takes it by a mile. I'm still glad I have the G&M one though.

I know where a bottle of the G&M 21yo is for $130, but I have a few more CS bottlings to pick up before I consider that one.
    Thanks for the notes Aaron. My logic behind looking into it was that I don't have any non-cask strength Mortlach stashed away, and will never be able to find the semi-official Flora and Fauna bottling. I will probably hold off on the G&M bottling and keep looking around, as it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Unfortunately, I haven't found any Signatory cask strength bottlings in my area (of any kind, not just Mortlach). This is doubly upsetting, since they seem to have an outstanding reputation for their CS offerings, and their prices appear to be very reasonable.
    Eric

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Do you have a picture? Barrel # & ABV?
    Here you go.
    KXecFyM.jpg
    The ABV is 57.2%.

Guru

Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Here you go.

The ABV is 57.2%.
    Thx Zillah! I should've bought that when I had the chance - my TW is now out of that bottle. I look forward to your tasting notes.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Dang! My outlet for cheap Old Pulteney 12 ($25) had the audacity to raise the price all the way to $36. Still a bargain but disappointed in myself for not buying a case when I had the opportunity.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Oh really... I swear the one I saw was not CS. At my TW they have a large lineup of Berry's and the CS versions are mixed throughout. I recall that one not being CS but I could have been wrong. Dang, another reason to buy it now...
    I think it was your Berry's Caperdonich that was a 46%'er

Connoisseur

Your correct, though about half of the line was also 46% with the rest being CS. For some reason I remember the Mortlach being CS but with so many in a line I likely was just mistaken.

Here is what I picked up today... my poor wallet is now crying. The one on the end that got cut off is the Laddie Cuvee 407 which is the PX cask finished one, looking forward to that!

IMAG0569.jpg

Enthusiast

I would of picked up the Caperdonich if it was CS. The Straithisla too.

Guru

Thanks to a huge assist from a fellow SBer I was able to acquire a few whiskies from K&L this week as well as a bottle of some interesting and unusual rum.

K&L scotch 2.JPG

Just a wee bit too much flash it would appear. Nikka Coffey Grain, Signatory Cambus, Faultline Longmorn, Bladnoch 23yo and Kilkerran Bourbon Wood (was a bit of a toss up but ended up with this one over the sherry) .

Hoping to add a Compass Box Hedonism soon to have a little grain whiskey tasting with the Cambus, Nikka and perhaps the Greenore Irish. .
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum