Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Placed an order for a Duncan Taylor Dimensions Caol Ila 29 1983/2012, should be cask 3624, for $239. It's REALLY hard to down these older Caol Ilas when they drop into my lap. I know Caol Ila will never be as collectible as the other Islay malts, but the older IBs seem to have a consistent quality that doesn't always seem to be there with other Islays, now that they are all so popular. It's surprising what $250 gets you with Caol Ila vs what $250 gets you with Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Port Ellen, or even Laphroaig as of late. What is funny about that is that I can totally buy Caol Ila's sister malt, Lagavulin 16, for almost $20 a bottle cheaper than the standard Caol Ila 12. It's a strange world we live in, fellas.
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 08-21-2014 at 06:37.
    Eric

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    It was a year ago May, if I remember ... probably should look for a Glenmo thread to elaborate to prevent thread drift here ... I'll take a look.

Kind of like picking a favorite child really - they were all very good. I didn't know they had done an earlier Burgundy finish, would like to hear what you think about that too Joe when you get around to it.
    The local expectations are that the Manzanilla finished Glenmo from the Cask Master vote, called Taghta, is due out first of September here locally. Haven't heard anything about what they will do, if anything, with the other two. I suspect if they have casks of wine barrel finished whisky left they will get used for something!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

During our Wednesday tasting yesterday I had the opportunity to try a couple of the new Kavalan whisky's from Taiwan. The basic single malt was very much like a decently aged (10-12yo) Highland/Speyside dram, especially considering their reportedly very young age, with some nice honeyed fruit notes and a very pleasant finish but perhaps not the best QPR. The King Car whisky is a slightly different blend of barrels (8 different woods reportedly) and is a more refined and mature tasting version of the regular single malt but it is pricey as well at around $100. As a sucker for different whisky from around the world I ended up bringing the King Car Whisky home with me.

Unfortunately no clear indication that the more interesting sounding cask strength Kavalan's from the Solist line will be coming to Atlanta anytime soon.

Rather curiously on the bottom portion of the King Car box and bottle it says "Pure Taiwan" but it is covered over with tape. The phrase managed to survive however on the back of the box of the regular Single Malt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    During our Wednesday tasting yesterday I had the opportunity to try a couple of the new Kavalan whisky's from Taiwan. The basic single malt was very much like a decently aged (10-12yo) Highland/Speyside dram, especially considering their reportedly very young age, with some nice honeyed fruit notes and a very pleasant finish but perhaps not the best QPR. The King Car whisky is a slightly different blend of barrels (8 different woods reportedly) and is a more refined and mature tasting version of the regular single malt but it is pricey as well at around $100. As a sucker for different whisky from around the world I ended up bringing the King Car Whisky home with me.

Unfortunately no clear indication that the more interesting sounding cask strength Kavalan's from the *Solist line will be coming to Atlanta anytime soon.

Rather curiously on the bottom portion of the King Car box and bottle it says "Pure Taiwan" but it is covered over with tape. The phrase managed to survive however on the back of the box of the regular Single Malt.
    I purchased a bottle of King Car recently, and plan on opening it after I get through my bottle of Nikka Taketsuru 17. I'm even more excited to try it after your admission that you took it home AFTER you tried it, since I didn't even sample it prior to talking myself into buying it. I'm considering bugging my local bottle shop about getting the Solist bottlings as they become available in MD. Most folk seem spun up about the sherry cask, but I'm more excited about the bourbon cask, personally.

*The intentional misspelling of Solist also makes it potentially a fun whisky to share with friends, as it provides a fun anecdote beyond "This whisky is from Taiwan. Also, Taiwanese whisky is really good."
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 08-21-2014 at 12:50.
    Eric

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    I purchased a bottle of King Car recently, and plan on opening it after I get through my bottle of Nikka Taketsuru 17. I'm even more excited to try it after your admission that you took it home AFTER you tried it, since I didn't even sample it prior to talking myself into buying it. I'm considering bugging my local bottle shop about getting the Solist bottlings as they become available in MD. Most folk seem spun up about the sherry cask, but I'm more excited about the bourbon cask, personally.

*The intentional misspelling of Solist also makes it potentially a fun whisky to share with friends, as it provides a fun anecdote beyond "This whisky is from Taiwan. Also, Taiwanese whisky is really good."
    Don't necessarily rely on my odd decision making process about buying whisky! I like getting bottles from around the world. Which is not to say it wasn't good. It was a very nice whisky. Just not sure it is $100 nice if it were a standard scotch brand. But I hope you enjoy it as well!

Taster

Bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for 44 bucks today. I am really enjoying this whisky.

Connoisseur

Ordered in 3 of the different Springbank 14's, olorosso, manzanilla, and amontillado. I'm looking forward to trying them when they arrive!

Enthusiast

Picked up 2 bottles of green label and another bottle of Balvenie 15 single bourbon barrel.

Guru

Happy August to me!

Had been looking for a few things to fill a box for an order and got inspired by some rum to fill the box. Whisky included an oddity from Austria finished in Austrian wine barrels from Hans Reisetbauer. Single malt aged for 7 years. A complete impulse buy so no idea what I am getting. The other two are Glendalough poitins. A bit of an oddity for poitin, these are made with malt and sugar beets and then "matured in virigin Irish oak" for a short but unspecified period of time. The clear one is "Mountain Strength" at 120 proof while the amber bottle is the basic poitin that is further aged in sherry casks. Hmm.

DUNY order Aug 14.jpg
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 08-23-2014 at 11:04.

Apprentice

Picked up a Laphroaig 22 distilled in 1987. Also, an Ardbeg Bloodtub Valinch released by Murray McDavid. That one is going to be an interesting one.