Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 49 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2014

Picked up a bottle of "Copper City Bourbon", distilled here in Arizona (which I didn't know they were distilling out here!) and the guy at the store swears it is only sold here in AZ (which may be true - or may have been true when he first got his shipment). "Over 2 yrs old" (so 2 yrs + 1 day), 90 proof "barrel-aged straight bourbon whiskey" (as if you might have straight bourbon whiskey that wasn't barrel aged?) The guy at the store talked it up as unique since it is aged out here in the desert where you get really hot days but fairly cool nights. Looking forward to cracking it open next weekend when I get it back to GA.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Well, he's right about the unique environment. Wonder if that dry desert air might suck out that aging Bourbon faster than the damp climate back East.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Busy day of purchasing. Not because Im running low, but because I like to geek out and there are still new things to try. Thanks to a tip from a fellow SB'r, I went to a place with WT101 rye and while there also snagged a SAOS 7yr 99 proof, a 4R Small Batch, and I relented and bought an Old Blowhard. I've seen the latter online and resisted thus far but gave in finally. I'm still learning and developing my tastes and feel the need to try things for myself before ultimately settling into to my favorites and preferred flavor profiles. I've tried it already and while I don't regret the purchase, I already know that I don't like it as much as the 7 yr SAOS. This is probably the last ultra aged bourbon I'll purchase.

In other news, a buddy successfully procured a case of VOB BIB 6yr for us. It's not sold locally, but he was in Portland this weekend and a little research told us where to look and a phone call confirmed the stock. This one I know I like and I now have an insta-bunker.

Advanced Taster

Had a friend visiting TPS and he picked me up Booker's that was on sale (saved me about $10), and a bottle of HH BIB (which I really like after my 1st taste, but will revisit again soon). Also, another friend pick me up a bottle of ETL standard he found here in Northeast Ohio. That has not been seen on shelves around here for 4+ months.

Best part I didn't have to shop, but just pay the bills!

Guru

20140505_113518.jpg

Thanks to a member tip-off, I picked up these two dusty BIB's. They were literally, seriously, dusty somehow, despite sitting on the shelf at a major big box store here in Louisville. Ive never had any before, but being the fan of BIB's I am, I took a chance and bought both on the shelf.

any opinions on these?
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    20140505_113518.jpg

Thanks to a member tip-off, I picked up these two dusty BIB's. They were literally, seriously, dusty somehow, despite sitting on the shelf at a major big box store here in Louisville. Ive never had any before, but being the fan of BIB's I am, I took a chance and bought both on the shelf.

any opinions on these?
    I've not had it, but it's Barton, presumably at 4 years.

Hey, at least if you like it you know you can go get some VOB Old #6 On The Neck Label BIB!
    Jim

Enthusiast

I bought 2 OWA and a Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Taster

2x ETL Com @ $28 (!) per

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Guru

Glad it worked out for you. And it's nice to know that the ETL Commemorative SHOULD have the same retail price as the standard ETL. ~$30
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. And it's nice to know that the ETL Commemorative SHOULD have the same retail price as the standard ETL. ~$30
    Thanks. Even at $35 I could have lived with it, considering that's a relative value with respect to other limited releases. I just appreciated the lack of drama about the purchase.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk