Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Owl???

Connoisseur

Kentucky Owl???

Anybody have any information on a Barrel Proof offering called Kentucky Owl?
    Who distilled it? ...Bottled it? ...Aged it? Or is this another of those 'orphan barrel' brands?
    Or, is it a NDP entering the barrel proof market with some sourced whiskey?'
    I would never be accused of being 'in the know' about such things; but I do NOT recall seeing anything posted here; and many here ARE 'in the know'....Or at least compared to me some certainly are.

Connoisseur

Re: Kentucky Owl???

https://www.facebook.com/kyowlbourbon

http://www.beaumontinn.com/kentucky_owl_bourbon.htm

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/...95c0d1479.html

Looks like 5 barrels of sourced bourbon blended to go along with another story. Unless I missed it, no word on the origin. Maybe someone smarter than I can look at the pics on facebook and put 2 and 2 together. I really liked the article where they discussed they felt it was worth $150, but expect it to be worth much more over time for collectors. Yawn.

Edit, scratching my head, they claim 5 barrels, but also expect a yield of 1300 to 1400 bottles. It's either some very young stuff, or there's some bull/misinformation in the beaumont inn website. 5 full sized barrels converted to ML divided by 750 would be the 1300 to 1400 bottle yield. That would be no loss in the barrel. The facebook page also shows a pic of their "barrels," who knows if they're real or not, but they look mighty new and more than 5.
    Last edited by petrel800; 09-11-2014 at 13:53.

Connoisseur

Hear are going like hot cakes apparently on those FB markets. I could care less. I've heard it FR. I've heard BF. Who's knows. I think it's around $180 for 6-8 year old mystery juice. No thanks. I will pass.

Connoisseur

I think it's time to make some labels, buy some bottles and dump my bunker!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/kyowlbourbon

http://www.beaumontinn.com/kentucky_owl_bourbon.htm

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/...95c0d1479.html

Looks like 5 barrels of sourced bourbon blended to go along with another story. Unless I missed it, no word on the origin. Maybe someone smarter than I can look at the pics on facebook and put 2 and 2 together. I really liked the article where they discussed they felt it was worth $150, but expect it to be worth much more over time for collectors. Yawn.

Edit, scratching my head, they claim 5 barrels, but also expect a yield of 1300 to 1400 bottles. It's either some very young stuff, or there's some bull/misinformation in the beaumont inn website. 5 full sized barrels converted to ML divided by 750 would be the 1300 to 1400 bottle yield. That would be no loss in the barrel. The facebook page also shows a pic of their "barrels," who knows if they're real or not, but they look mighty new and more than 5.
    Oh yeah it was also rebarreled so that would explain the new barrels and a very high yield. I think I heard they actually ended up with around 1200 bottles.

Enthusiast

Just posted on the "Pricing" thread and basically made the pitch that I'll buy what I want. But $180 for "mystery juice" is definitely beyond my tolerance. I'd have to try a sample first, and be absolutely blown away beyond anything I've ever tasted before I bite that bullet.

Guru

At those prices they could buy any commonly available 6-8 year old Bourbon and rebottle it. I suspect they spent more money on the packaging than the contents.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Finally - a bourbon that makes my guilty pleasure Old Blowhard look like a responsible purchase!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Tot View Post
    Finally - a bourbon that makes my guilty pleasure Old Blowhard look like a responsible purchase!
    HA! I love Your Reasoning, Tot!!! Many of us could use that one, I bet.
    I think I could on several purchases over that last five years... Hey; I think I WILL!

Virtuoso

Not to mention a seemingly trumped up Facebook welcome was so overwhelmingly agreed upon (pre release) that it makes me very leery. I don't like paying an extra $125 per bottle to fund "future plans" even whistle pig only charges like $35 a bottle to fund their future projects.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden