Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 77 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

All the Lexington hate. smh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I like Lexington better than the entire state of Maryland, if that helps . . .

Passed on Hirsch 25 and 28. My favorite price yesterday was Bloward for either $299 or $399, I forget. Sitting next to 2x FRLESB14s for $89.99. Hilarious.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    To be fair, most of those are not entirely PA's fault for not stocking. Distillers and distributors mainly decide what states they want to fulfill unless a purchaser can really push them otherwise. Fortunately, PA has that power, but isn't necessarily knowledgeable about what consumers demand - especially for the bottom to mid shelf. It looks like it is doing fine for the top shelf. With that said, a bunch of people (including myself) put together some recommendations for the spirit buyers of PA. Of those recommendations, OWA107 and W12 are at the top of the list.

I think it is plausible that PA will be able to stock at least OWA107. It has been sold in the state before (it is how I got my earlier bottles) and every state around PA stocks it. However, given how limited supply has become, PA could cannibalize other state stocks (like NJ or DE, which are becoming increasingly hard to find OWA) and is probably one of the reasons why we don't get it anymore. I myself tried to push for the Heaven Hill BIB's to be put in the state store but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for it. I go to NJ to get the Gold (you can also special order it) or DE for white label.
    The Gold label HHBiBs are gone from the special order page. It was an adequate HH replacement so I special ordered 5 bottles of the 750's at like $60, insane price on a tasty btm shelf that drinks above its pricepoint. They took the 750's off after my order, so after tasting it I said screw it I'll buy 3 of the 1.75's and have a 5 year stash, but my fav helper Bailey answered my email saying distributors are out of stock, she had no idea if or when they may have more. Thats all I'd like to see is at least HHBiB and EWBiB be at the least put on the special order page. It's my understanding they don't stock or hold any of the specials, they just call in an order from out of state distributors. So in that way they wouldn't have unsold btm shelf bourbons if they at least expanded our SLO list.

Guru

man, lots of talk lately of the PA state-controlled liquor blues.....i feel bad for you guys!
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Apprentice

Rhetoric for $80 plus tax. Haven't heard enough about it to justify the price tag.

Taster

Blanton's...
    but got Macallans's for my birthdAY
    To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
    Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I have never been to Lexington, Massachusetts so I am not sure why people are dissing it.

Taster

Passed up on the Willett 2yr Rye for $54. sigh. This LS would actually move bottles if they reduced their prices a bit.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
    Passed up on the Willett 2yr Rye for $54. sigh. This LS would actually move bottles if they reduced their prices a bit.
    That's just dumb. Unfortunately, it will only get dumber....

Taster

This place just gouges. They have Stagg Jr for $69. I got it 15 minutes away for $47. LS #2 is now sold out, while every bottle is still on the shelf of the former. I say make it move!

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    That's just dumb. Unfortunately, it will only get dumber....