Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 76 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

None of the stores I frequent have 1% the knowledge of bourbon that the majority on this site have and I'm not including myself. Most of my stores get all their "knowledge" from the distributor reps that call on them.

Guru

Yes, I once had a store manager insist he "knew for a fact" that the bottles of Joseph Finch Bourbon he had in stock were actually made at the Joseph Finch Distillery.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

depends on how you define 'made'
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Advanced Taster

Passed on Wild Turkey Tradition for $229.

Sad story on this one - it was in a glass case with no price on it. I asked the guy behind the counter how much it was and he said it was part of a collection. One of those $14,000 packages with Pappy, BTAC, etc. I looked into it some more and realized that he was wrong so I went back to the counter and asked a girl this time how much it was. She looked it up in the computer and told me it was $99. The other guy (possibly owner or manager) heard her tell me that and immediately ran over and said "no, that's $229". She showed him in the computer where it was $99 but he was emphatic that it was $229. I will probably never buy anything from this store because of this. They obviously know how much they should be selling it for since it's in the computer but choose to rip people off. Sad.
    Drank a lot of whiskey
    It gives me such a glow
    It makes me quite immobile
    But it lets my feelin' show

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    depends on how you define 'made'
    He meant distilled there and his proof was that's what the rep told him and the label clearly stated Joseph Finch Distillery.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    None of the stores I frequent have 1% the knowledge of bourbon that the majority on this site have and I'm not including myself. Most of my stores get all their "knowledge" from the distributor reps that call on them.
    My bourbon guy is in the 1%. That's why I like him. Of course, he is a member of SB!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    He meant distilled there and his proof was that's what the rep told him and the label clearly stated Joseph Finch Distillery.
    To be fair to store employees who may be more for familiar with wine/beer than whiskey/spirits, wine labels are much more "non-deceptive" than bourbon. So I can understand if they are familiar to the point of what the label says and rely on that to do their jobs. Until I joined this site, I would have never understood the subtleties (i.e., intentional deception) on so many bourbon labels. Micros aside, exactly where is the Old Granddad Distillery?
    Mark

Disciple

I think even distributors repeat information they get from "media kits" which are developed by the PR people at the distilleries.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Renegator View Post
    Passed on Wild Turkey Tradition for $229.

Sad story on this one - it was in a glass case with no price on it. I asked the guy behind the counter how much it was and he said it was part of a collection. One of those $14,000 packages with Pappy, BTAC, etc. I looked into it some more and realized that he was wrong so I went back to the counter and asked a girl this time how much it was. She looked it up in the computer and told me it was $99. The other guy (possibly owner or manager) heard her tell me that and immediately ran over and said "no, that's $229". She showed him in the computer where it was $99 but he was emphatic that it was $229. I will probably never buy anything from this store because of this. They obviously know how much they should be selling it for since it's in the computer but choose to rip people off. Sad.
    Sounds like maybe you have been heading east down I-20 towards Conyers...

If so it is a weird place because they do often have bottles at very good prices along with the absurd multi-thousand dollar bottle packages. I tend to grit my teeth and buy the deals when I see them and try not to get too bent out of shape about the silly bourbon packages. And I take my regular purchasing elsewhere of course. Don't feel at all bad about doing my best to cherry pick the good deals and ignoring everything else!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

The other day on my run back from the north I stopped at a new place that I really was looking forward to seeing. Nice setup and a large selection of product.

My my hope was to pick up a couple of SAOS 7yr ryes. Good price on them too. But after tasting a sample I was more meh than yah.

Still nice to drink, but not what I had I mind for what the product was going to be.

Reminded me a a milder version of Lot 40, mildly sweet and fruits coming through, but given a preference, it would be Lot 40 any day.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."