Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: George Dickel Whisky - 95% rye mash

It's odd too (IMO) that the side label speaks of chilling, then filtering through sugar maple charcoal, then letting the whiskey "rest" before bottling, "as long as it needs to". What's that all about? Does the U.S. bottle say that too?

Gary

Guru

Dickel has long practiced chilling whisky prior to filtering and usually make a point of mentioning that on their labels. I don't see how 'resting' would change anything though.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

This whiskey presumably wasn't put through the Tullahoma maple charcoal vat when freshly distilled; I've inferred (from various sources) the filtering occurs at the other end, after dumping. Maybe after that filtering it is held in glass or ceramic tanks for a while, this is possible.

Gary

Guru

Yes, of course Gary, I was merely pointing out Dickel usually mentions on their label (and in their ads) chilling the whisky prior to filtering. After filtering I'm sure it would be collected in some large holding vessel but I don't see how it can be improved by 'resting' unless it is to meld the various barrels that were selected for that dump run.

Well, this has been done: holding in tanks, even when not made of wood, is considered to meld the product. (One thinks e.g. of VWFRR 13 years old held in tanks after mixing two 18 year old ryes. Part of the reason is simply to conserve between bottlings, but no doubt a "settled" character is sought too by this process).

The wording is a bit unclear though, I wonder if the people who wrote it were confused by reference to the standard procedure for George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey. A lot of time (clearly) was spent confecting the label but I confess to some uncertainty what is meant on a number of points. Of course for the general market this is irrelevant.

It is very good though, well worth the money (i.e., even with the premium Canucks pay for these imports).

Gary

Advanced Taster

Interestingly, Diageo are doing the same bizarre word dance on their Canadian Bulleit Rye label:

Bfront.JPGBback.JPG

On this one, they kept "Straight," but again stop short of calling it "Rye Whisky."
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Guru

The game's afoot yet we are but mere spectators in the unfolding of mighty events in Diageoworld.

Good catch Smithford re the Bulleit although the word "straight" would seem to suggest it is straight rye. The term straight isn't used on the Dickel.

The more I think on it, it may be that for "permanent" listings (hence French co-labeling as Smithford noted), the intent is not to use the term "rye whisky" in view of that being considered a Canadian product.

Gary

Advanced Taster

I think you're right.

Knob Creek Rye, Wild Turkey Rye and Rittenhouse are all sold here with the term "Rye Whisky" on the label. But none of their makers have a horse in the Canadian Whisky race the same way Diageo do.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Also perhaps those aren't intended to be permanently carried here, the Ritt comes in occasionally, the other two are relatively new. It may of course reflect too just a different approach by their regulatory and legal people. Hard to say.

Gary