Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Apprentice

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

I enjoy EW black label, although I haven't had a pour for quite a while. If go with Evan Williams, I almost always go for EWSB these days. It's got more depth and complexity as well as smoother finish. I get a lot of alcohol in the nose of the 1993 vintage, but on the palate it is quite enjoyable. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll probably have a pour of both this weekend.

Guru

EW Black is a very close relative of EC-12, both being from Heaven Hill. They probably begin as the same whiskey, but then are selected for different aging treatments.

Tim

Advanced Taster

Still snowing here in western MA. Not as much snow as predicted, but it's still coming down and the night is young. Had a nice fire going in the fireplace, playing cards with my wife and finished my first opened Saz 18. Great rye! Now I'm enjoying an Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13 YO. Very fine bourbon!

The Saz's cork goes into my cork collection (never know when a spare cork might be needed), but the bottle will go to recycling. It would make a nice rocks glass, cut off and fire polished just below the "Sazerac" name, but it would be even nicer if there was a Saz glass to buy. I don't normally like "branded" glasses, at all, but I would make an exception for the Saz.

Best thing is, I have an open ORVWOTR 12 YO and a friend brought me a VWFR 13 YO, so I get to HTH these two wonderful ryes, both of which of which I've bunkered.
    A win-win sscenario, methinks! Cheers, Ed

Administrator in exile

Thanks to the wonderful generosity of Ed (pepcycle) I am enjoying a generous pour of Ezra Brooks 15yo Single Barrel. I am enjoying my drink in my new Riedel bourbon glass. I must say that, while I expected this to be nice based on comments heard here, I am blown away by this one. Easily the best bourbon to come out of Heaven Hill IMHO. Thick caramel and Vanilla notes with some pleasant woodiness. I'll be exploring this one some more. And the best thing is, I just found a new stash just waiting for the picking. Oh happy day!

I just had another round of Eagle Rare Single Barrel. My side-by-side with Weller's 12yo the other night solved nothing. In fact, I think I'm going to sample the Weller again right now. I realize I'll probably eventually find something I like better that I haven't tried yet, but I'm in no hurry -- I'm having an awfully good time with these two.

Right now, I'm drinking Maker's Mark... and strangely, I'm enjoying it. I guess it's growing on me a bit. It's not bad stuff, I just find it a little boring.

Connoisseur

Still snowing here in western MA. Not as much snow as predicted, but it's still coming down and the night is young. Had a nice fire going in the fireplace, playing cards with my wife and finished my first opened Saz 18. Great rye! Now I'm enjoying an Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13 YO. Very fine bourbon!
    Man, that sounds like heaven to me!

Where in western MA do you live?...I lived in Williamstown for awhile, about 20 years ago...beautiful country!

Advanced Taster

Yeah, it was a very mellow evening, couldn't get much better! I live in Easthampton, which is west of the CT river. Nice area, but it could always be improved bt a Buffalo trace distributor moving in down the block (Hint, hint BT folk! ) Ed