Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

You are so right, Tom. WR is candy!

Tim

Guru

What kind of candy would that be guys? I want to remember never to buy it!

Connoisseur

Yes, you math is a little off. It is not a 3% change. It is 6/86 or 3/43 (the original value was 86 proof, not 100 proof). This represents a 6.97% reduction from the original base. So, for the stated sales of 700,000,000 cases, the correct answer would be about 48,837,209 cases of water!
    That can't be right, because you're going from 43% by volume to 40% by volume. The 6.97% might reflect a change in how much total water used compared to BEFORE, but not by total volume.

Let's simplify things a little, and assume we're making a straight alcohol-to-water mixture (ie. ultra-pure vodka). We'll also have to assume (which isn't entirely true) that alcohol and water have the same volume. (alcohol and water DO NOT mix equally, so we're simplifying again--1 cup water plus 1 cup ethanol does not yield 2 cups of mix, and there's also that pesky eutectic phenomenon, which we'll also ignore.)

Anyway, an 86 proof drink has (again, using our slight simplifications) 43% alcohol, 57% water. For 700mil cases, .57x700mil = 399 mil cases of the mix are Lynchburg water.

An 80 proof bottling has 60% water or .6x700mil = 420mil cases of water.

420mil - 399mil = 21mil cases of additional water needed.

Aren't nits fun? Watch...we're probably BOTH dead wrong!

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I based my calculations on a 5.16% change. Now however I don't know how I got there. At 3% or over 6% it is a hell of a lot of water, which is the intended point, water that isn't distilled from a grain mixture, mellowed, loaded into barrels costing 136 bucks apiece, at 52 gallons a pop, age in valuable rickhouse space, for some number of years.

John Ed Pearce in " Nothing Better In The Market" says they were told to only cut prices under the sharpest nessessity, and to cut Quality under no circumstances. They had a committee system by which, " Many Minds were brought to Bear" on a problem. I guess they have folks there who are patting themselves on the back for coming up with this idea. ( It's been done before by others) I will stop crying foul if the price is reduced by 3-6 % . That seems fair to me.
    I'm not holding my breath for that.

<font color="brown"> Good God Give Tal Farlow Some </font>

Guru

Knob Creek. Using my "From my cold, dead hands" tall-boy shotglass.

I wish I could make up my mind about KC. I alternate between "Never again!" and "What was I thinking?" This afternoon, as I'm finishing the bottle (with only two healthy pours), it tastes good enough to make me want to replace this bottle ($19.95 at Trader Joe's).

Come to think of it, the skinny shotglass may be relevant. If... OK, "when" I buy another bottle, I should really do a glassware comparison.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

Maybe its caramel vanilla butter pecan candy!

I don't know, but I love it. Its not my top favorite (but its cousin, OFBB, is), but its certainly in my top 15.

Different strokes.....

Tim

Enthusiast

If they notice that we've noticed, they can safely reduce the price for a short time to keep their profit margin the same. But watch it creep back up to the current price with no one noticing.

Back on topic: Tonite's bourbon is a Wild Turkey Rye Manhattan.

Taster

Two years ago when I was at the Bourbon Festival I was in one of the larger liquer stores in Bardstown. Asking the owner about the change Brown Forman had made to change Early Times from a Bourbon to a Kentucky Whiskey he commented that Brown Forman were 'whiskey whores'.Maybe that is all there is to it in there relentless drive to produce and prosper

Advanced Taster

last night it was Jim Beam Black...not as good as I remember...its nose said BEAM...pleasant and inoffensive and easy to drink but nothing outstanding...$18 locally... Chuck Cowdery says this is Booker's at 90 proof...Bookers is 50 bucks around here so I only get one or two at restaurants and have never bought a bottle...but I would rather get those occasional drinks than buy the JB Black in bottle again anytime soon...

The Jack Daniel's Green Label #7 (marketed in only a handful of states) is another interesting story. We were wondering how it is different from the JD Black #7 one day and decided to email the company and ask. While I can't recall the name of the respondent from memory, his response was very memorable: the JD Green Label is the same as the Black Label (except for proof -- 80 vs. 86 -- though that only until January) except that the tasters didn't think it met their standards for Black. Simple as that. It's just (even more?) inferior Jack Daniel's Black.