Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

Thanks to Bobby, Dave in Canada and CL for your congrats. We are very happy about the news. It'll give our daughter (who'll be two in about 3 weeks) somebody else to play with and I'll finally have another guy around the house. I think that will be good in the future!

Any way, I am going through my VW collection right now, I think. Tried the ORVW Rye and truly enjoyed it last night, maybe the bottle just needed to breath a little or my cold left me. That was very smooth stuff and had a citrus and peppery flavor. Very different from what I am used to,but very good.

My Eagle Rare Single Barrel is really growing on me. And that about describes the experience of it, too. It begins so subtly you're tempted to climb into the glass after it, then explodes with flavor, warmth and a blossoming finish. And, afterward, the empty glass gives off more aroma than the new pour, tempting just another, small taste. (Oh, all right!)

Connoisseur

Good point about the shape of the bottles. I hadn't noticed that. Interesting that I didn't move on to Elmer T. Lee!!

Disciple

Tonight I finally cracked the seal on my bottle of 1792. This is one interesting whiskey. The nose is deep and rich and woody. Suprisingly, I dont get much of the wood on the palate, I got a medium-big, round whiskey in my mouth with lots of fresh cracked nut flavor. Also on the fromnt of my toungu I get young sweetness, almost like white dog. The finish is all Barotn though, with the rye kicking in nicely (very much like that great VOB BIB finish). This one is a gem and I hope they do expand into Ohio, I want more already!!

TomC

PS despite me dogging on it a little before, I reallly like the packaging on this bourbon, as it really plays to how special this whiskey really is.

Connoisseur

Last night it was EC12. Lately that's been my serious 'go-to' bourbon when I can't quite decide on the mood. Remember when people were talking about it having different flavors on different nights? Well last night the pour kept shouting "MINT!" Not the menthol/rye thing, but more of an "add simple syrup to me and you'll have a julep" kind of taste.

Oh, and no, I hadn't just brushed!

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Last night was a triple header....one cigar and two bourbons. I smoked a Gispert (Honduras) first with ORVW 10/107 and then opened up the '03 Stagg (added a little H20 and one ice cube). Both were great. The Stagg is all over the map with flavors.... a real fiesta going on in the nose and mouth.

DoubleBlank

Advanced Taster

Last night I dipped intp a bottle that has been collecitng dust. Basil Haydens. It was like drinking slightly sweetened water. I used to really like it. Now it is good, jsut not so flavorful like all of the others I have been dipping into lately. I enjoyed it and relaxed and will enjoy it again, when I want something simple.

Guru

Hence, the moniker "brown vodka". I didn't coin it, but I agree with it.

Tim

Connoisseur

Kentucky Spirit. I'm near the end of the bottle on this one (alas!) but I've noticed an interesting phenomenon, and I'm trying to figure out if it's in my head or not. This bourbon seems "mellower" than when I started the bottle, and I'm wondering if it's "breathed" or if some of the alcohol has evaporated, making it slightly less proof, and thus taking away some of the burn. Anyone have any thoughts on this...does some of the alcohol evaporate from nearly empty bottles of bourbon?

Connoisseur

Anyone have any thoughts on this...does some of the alcohol evaporate from nearly empty bottles of bourbon?
    Got that replacement bottle handy? Next time do a side-by-side of the new bottle vs. the depleted one. (Of course, this may not be as accurate with KS due to barrel differences!) Some s****h drinkers are definitely convinced that an open bottle changes character, and even go so far as to split their bottles into smaller ones and put marbles inside to minimize airspace. Is it worth it? I personally don't bother, but it depends on your opinion.