Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

Wathen's Single Barrel. Sadly this is the end of my last bottle. Very unique bourbon IMHO. Tonight and am getting a hot taste on the front of the palate, but a smooth and mellow taste on the finish. I like it. Must get more soon.

God I love this thread!

Tonight I'm taking my first taste of my new Weller's 12yo 1.75L (the only size available in Middle Tennessee). It'll take a while, at my pace, but I'd bet I'll finish the bottle. More alcohol burn than I expected at 90 proof, but mellows out nicely, and the finish -- well, I think it may be my all-time favorite finish. A real beauty, visually, in the glass, with a brown-sugar sweet nose that gives a suggestion of the alcohol burn noted earlier. Not really any strong flavors, though I think I sense a little leather and molasses. All-in-all, I put this right up near the top of my value-for-dollar bourbons. Plus, the bottle has this neat, no-spill plastic spout that keeps me from having the lick the neck of the bottle after I pour.

Apprentice

Hancock's Presidents Reserve 88.9 Proof. got it as a gift. It does not say anything about aging on the bottle, and idea why?

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Sinus's are clear once again and the Stagg was calling. I broke the seal and poured two fingers into the Riedel Bourbon Glass. My concern over this being as good as last year's were dismissed. This bourbon is big and loud with background subtleties. New tastes in this year's version are dried figs and burnt toast. Enough like last year's product to keep up the reputation, different enough to make the trip to the store worthwhile. I had the overwhelming urge to put on a smoking jacket and sit in the parlour with this one.

Guru

Wathen's -- barely a taste, really -- perhaps 3/8 in. in my tall-boy shotglass.

I'm still nosing at this point (one sip, and it will be all gone). It's buttered whole-wheat toast, clover honey and molasses. Has there ever been a more wholesome, down-to-earth-appealing nose?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

Not drinking it now, but Saturday was a red letter day as I sat with friends Rick and Brian and uncorked my newly purchased bottle of Pappy 20yr and Brian's bottle of Stagg. I sure am glad Pappy got first crack at my tastebuds because Stagg slagged em. Hooooeeeeeee.

Advanced Taster

Last night was a good pour of WT Rare Breed. Tasted great, this was only the second pour from this bottle and I am beginning to get a new appreciation for the WT line (enjoy Kentuck Spirit as well). I may have to get some of the others WTRR, WT101, etc.

Don't forget the Wild Turkey rye. Not expensive, but memorable.

Connoisseur

Last night it was two very different pours. First I revisited my recently-purchased $19.99 Woodford Reserve bottle, and had the exact reaction as the first time: I was big-time underwhelmed. It really reminds me of plain Old Forester. I wonder if B-F has exhausted their supply of premium barrels!?

Since the WR didn't do it for me I switched to AAA 10yo. Yum! That did the trick!

Apprentice

I've been a bit underwhelmed by Woodford Reserve as well. It runs $30+ around here and I don't think it is worth the price. It is good, but if I'm going to spend that much with my budget, it better be spectacular.