Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

I'm having Weller 12 year old tonight. I bought it last week and have been drinking it the last few days. It is my first Weller and I may be buying more after this. I had almost given up on wheaters, but this is pretty good stuff. I think someone described it as having a more classic bourbon profile than other wheaters. I agree with that. It may be blasphemy, but I think I like it better than ORVW 10/107, which I find a bit harsh. I'll have to try ORVW again and see if I still see it that way.

Administrator in exile

Avery, I am also having a hard time deciding on a favorite between Weller 12yo and ORVW 10yo 107. Both are fantastic bourbons, but something about the Weller is a little more approachable and easy to drink. I think I'll try adding a little watter to the ORVW and then comparing them again. Well the great thing is we don't have to decide. I'll enjoy both of them

Enthusiast

TomC,

Great choice VOB-what a bourbon!!!! Sorry to reply so late on your post but have been doing a lot of "researching" lately and VOB "as Tony the Tiger would say" It's Gggggreat!!!!!!

Cheers,
    Marvin

I'm with you (and Jeff, too!): I prefer the simple Weller's 12yo to the Van Winkle 10/90 or 107 -- not that there's anything wrong with the latter(s). And, not surprisingly, both are (were) originally "Pappy"'s bourbons.

Guru

I had a healthy shot of Rare Breed, last night while reading a good book (I believe it was John Irving's first, Setting Free the Bears). The RB is superb - sweet, spicy, and flavorful.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Oh Tannenbaum, Oh Tannenbaum, wie grun ist seiner blatter? (sp?)
    Christmas Tree is up, Lights are on. Patty and I are sitting in front of the fireplace on a rainy Kentucky afternoon. The deanter has mystery bourbon. Patty thinks she emptied a bottle of Ezra B 15YO SB into it. Warm and wonderful.

I'm about to do a side-by-side tasting of Weller's 12yo and Eagle Rare Single Barrel -- not because they're necessarily similar, but that I can't decide which I like better. I like them both a lot.

Taster

Weller 19yo.
    I keep wavering on this pour. Sometimes I get to much wood
    taste.

Guru

Tonight, it is Elijah Craig 12-yr old. My current bottle is so much smoother and sweeter than what I remember from about two years ago - I definitely remember giving it the description, "firey", then. EC-12 Tasting notes

I wonder, has the bourbon changed that much, or is it just me?

Tim

Taster

Evan Williams Black Label, 7-years old.

I've read so many conflicting reviews about this whiskey that I had to try it for myself.

I haven't developed the impressive vocab yet that many of you seem to have, when describing your drinks... All I can say is that it tastes good, but has an edge to it. It's a little "hot", if you will; but that doesn't bother me, since my mouth is extremely calloused from eating blazing hot food all the time. I imagine those with a tender palate would be put off by it.