Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

AJ,

Just keep doing what you're doing, and I guarantee your cold will go away. That will be $50, please.

Remember, nature cures you, but the doctor sends you a bill anyway.

Yours truly,
    Dave "Absolutely No Medical Training Whatsoever" Morefield

Guru

Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 Years Old, Lot "B" (90.4 proof).

After yesterday's confrontation with the ORVW 20 y/o barrel proof Sam's bottling, I may need to recalibrate my taster. At first impression, this bottling is gentle to a fault.

Thinking back to my first Van Winkle experience, the ORVW 10/107, I recall being enveloped by the nose the second I pulled the cork. Even in my Glencairn blender's glass, the Lot "B" invites deep, rapid sniffing to plumb its apparent subtleties.

On the palette it seems to be mainly fruit and spice instead of the nutty, oily taste (a la Walnettos) I recall from the 10/107.

If I still perceive it this way in a day or two, a one-on-one with the ORVW 10/107 will be called for. Perhaps I expected a family resemblance where there is none.

Hmmmm... Now that a few minutes have elapsed, I'm getting a more assertive nose. Maybe there's something to that let-it-breathe thing, after all.

I bought [my first] two bottles of this at $25.64 during Sam's October Warehouse Clearance Sale. I'm starting to think I should have bought more, especially at that price.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

I bought a bottle of the Lot B during the sale almost a year ago too Dave and was impressed with it. It's one I don't see on many store shelves even when Old Rip is there, but it is still a great bourbon.

Oh yeah, tonight it'll be a pour of Hirsch 20 followed by Rare Breed.

Disciple

WL Weller 19 = Fantastic.

I had some this afternoon with a Fuente Hemingway. It was great!

TomC

Guru

I just now checked the website for Park Avenue Liquor, thinking they had it listed. Wrong. On top of that they want $54 for ORVW 15/107. If that price is indicative of their prices on other products, then there must be a more reasonably priced outlet in your vicinity.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

Heh, heh. One of my favorite The Beverly Hillbillies episodes was the one where the city doctors had heard of Granny Clampett's cure for colds and were seriously investigating it as a possible valid folk remedy. They chased her for most of the episode, but got nothing out of her. Of course, her "remedy" was simply her white lightning homemade whiskey.

Finally, the doctors pinned Jed down to tell them something about it. "So, Granny really has a cure for a cold?" "Yep." "And it really works?" "Yep, every time." "Tell us more about how you take it." "Well, you just take a dose of Granny's medicine and go to bed. Then, in about a week, your cold is gone."

Tim

Advanced Taster

My wife unpacked one of the few boxes left from our move and put Weller Special Reserve on to my bourbon shelf. I looked at the bottle and sighed because there was very little left. I have enjoyed it tonight and realize that I have enjoyed every bottle of Weller I have had...the Special Reserve (7yrs old) the 10 year bottle I have and the 19 year that I just got. Man, this is good stuff. Love the sweet aromas caramel, toffee and the way it just roalls right down . I am going to see if the ABC carries this so I can get more!

Guru

I am going to see if the ABC carries this so I can get more!
    If you can still get the Weller 19 stock up now, it's no more... What an excellent bourbon it is.

Guru

Buffalo Trace.

I think my taster is off today. First a sip of Wathen's didn't excite me; now it's the same with BT -- although I am enjoying just nosing it.

Could it be that drinking VW products two days in a row has spoiled me? Forever?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

Could it be that drinking VW products two days in a row has spoiled me? Forever?

Now that is very possible Dave, but I don't know since even Wathen's isn't exciting you. I so like that bourbon especially at sale prices.

Tonight for me its the last bit of some Eagle Rare 10 year 101 I have. Also a great bourbon for its price. There are some great finds out there that will not run your wallet dry.