Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 499
  1. #431
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hoosier State
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    I cannot recall the source of the Hirsch
    It may have changed as the age statements increased. JVWIII has posted on here that he bottled the H13 (and maybe a few older years?) and it was the same as his rye at that time. Reading that w other posts it seems like the early bottlings were all Medley and then a blend of Medley and Bernheim/Cream of Ky. It was the blend that got tanked and parceled out. Think I got that right off the top of my head but if not someone can correct it.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

  2. #432
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

    Finished off another bottle of Pepper. Indiana is distilling some fine ryes.

  3. #433
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hoosier State
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Finished off another bottle of Pepper. Indiana is distilling some fine ryes.
    Check my Avatar TT, that's Seagrams a/k/a LDI, a/k/a MGPI but still known to the locals as Seagrams!
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

  4. #434
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,324

    Re: What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

    ^^ there's a reason why he's called WryGuy
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  5. #435
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hoosier State
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    ^^ there's a reason why he's called WryGuy
    so Johnny you like the Ritt's over the old Willett's?
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

  6. #436
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    so Johnny you like the Ritt's over the old Willett's?
    They hit different parts of the spectrum to scratch different itches

    The Bonili 24's were pretty spectacular... I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good the bottles of Ritt21were.

    If I had to choose, I'd take the old Willetts (BMH23, DC, Bonili, "X" Inks, etc) over just about any others but its not that wide of a chasm in terms of quality for me.

    That said, some of the stuff coming out of High West confirmed for me that chasing (or keeping) the unicorn ryes is not necessary anymore.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  7. #437
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hoosier State
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    They hit different parts of the spectrum to scratch different itches

    The Bonili 24's were pretty spectacular... I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good the bottles of Ritt21were.

    If I had to choose, I'd take the old Willetts (BMH23, DC, Bonili, "X" Inks, etc) over just about any others but its not that wide of a chasm in terms of quality for me.

    That said, some of the stuff coming out of High West confirmed for me that chasing (or keeping) the unicorn ryes is not necessary anymore.
    I like your optimism! I hold out hope for the BT ryes (THH/Baby Saz mashbill or the CEHT one) to be really good at 13 or 18. But time will tell. KBD caught lightning in a bottle with the stuff they bottled in the mid 90's. Those are still my favorites bar none.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

  8. #438
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    I like your optimism! I hold out hope for the BT ryes (THH/Baby Saz mashbill or the CEHT one) to be really good at 13 or 18. But time will tell. KBD caught lightning in a bottle with the stuff they bottled in the mid 90's. Those are still my favorites bar none.
    Keep an eyeball open and focused on HW this fall (& I'm not just talking about MWND)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  9. #439
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    2,543

    Re: What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Keep an eyeball open and focused on HW this fall (& I'm not just talking about MWND)
    You're not just teasing us, are you? Does Dave have some older Barton ryes sitting around getting better??
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

  10. #440
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    510

    Re: What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    For the near future at least the Pappy name will be all the roobs will care about. It could be a Barton NAS wheater and if it says Pappy on the label that will be good enough! Most people won't be able to tell the difference anyway as they pour it in their cola...

    In fact I kinda wish they would do that.
    Hmmmm, Pappy Jr.?
    Andrew

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014
    By Old Dusty in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 12:23
  2. What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014
    By DBM in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1128
    Last Post: 09-26-2014, 16:35
  3. What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2014
    By DBM in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1164
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 21:04
  4. What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Spring 2014
    By jcg9779 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1905
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 00:22
  5. What Wine Are You Drinking? Spring/Summer 2013
    By Clavius in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 18:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top