Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    Disciple

Re: What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    I'm definitely surprised to hear peeps preferring Baby Saz. Man that stuff can be downright nasty. It sits on the shelves here for $27-$30 and deservedly so. This is coming from a guy who would take the '13 THH over all the other BTAC bottles any ole day and three times on Sunday.

I found the last 1/3 of my MGP 4-yr Willett to be actually enjoyable.

Ill have to watch for the Beam rye on sale sometime to try to find a budget rye that doesn't taste like industrial pool cleaner.
    I am with you on this. I actually had difficult finishing my last bottle of Baby Saz. Really harsh with the alcohol overpowering the rye flavor. Ritt BIB is ok but I prefer to mix with bourbon rather than drink alone. The budget options are pretty limited. Stepping up to $30, the options improve and, under $40, there are several decent options. I am ok with several of the MGP options...Willett, Bone Snapper, etc.

Connoisseur

I've been on a rye kick lately and have mostly been drinking the Handy and EH Taylor rye. Still have the taste for rye I decided to bring up a bottle I've had for a while but haven't tried yet - Ritt BIB. It gets a lot of love here so I was looking forward to trying it so I open it, take my first taste and.........weird.....this is not what I was expecting. Goes down like bourbon more than rye to me. Some quick research shows that it's 51%rye, 37% corn, and 12% barley. That explains it. Now that I'm settling in with it with adjusted expectations, I'm enjoying it. As always, more 'research' is needed.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Connoisseur

Cracked a SAOS barrel proofer this evening. Just had a small sip (or two), but the initial impression is promising.

I didn't notice much of the earthy, musty tobacco barn thing that I've grown to appreciate in many of the fine old ryes but the rye spice is bold and the finish was long and hearty.

I'm looking forward to additional research as this bottle opens up!

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    I'm definitely surprised to hear peeps preferring Baby Saz. Man that stuff can be downright nasty. It sits on the shelves here for $27-$30 and deservedly so. This is coming from a guy who would take the '13 THH over all the other BTAC bottles any ole day and three times on Sunday.

I found the last 1/3 of my MGP 4-yr Willett to be actually enjoyable.

Ill have to watch for the Beam rye on sale sometime to try to find a budget rye that doesn't taste like industrial pool cleaner.
    Love me some baby Saz!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Oh sure - after I create an Excel calculator you point this out (quietly bookmarking)
    Oh don't feel bad. I did the same thing. Although I used Google Sheets so I could pull it up in my phone on the fly.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Novice

Tucked into this incredible beast tonight. 25yr old sinGle barrell rye, #1779, 100proof. I only wish I had bought more of these at the Willett gift shop last month.