Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 206
  1. #81
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,455

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    Grabbed a Baby Saz when the opportunity arose since it's pretty much nonexistent in the Phoenix area. Now I can stop nursing my open bottle.!
    -Brian-

    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

  2. #82
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    Picked up a James E Pepper rye for $30. Figured what the heck.
    You will be surprised just how good this is for $30 and will probably go back for more.

  3. #83
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    308

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    Picked up a one liter of WT101 and passed on a Baby Saz.

  4. #84
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    222

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    I found a bottle of Hirsch 21 rye at a local store yesterday. I browse this store fairly often and never noticed it before, so I grabbed it. I've not had Hirsch 21, but hope it resembles the Vintage/BMH 21s I used to enjoy. Especially since I didn't have the foresight to stash any of those away (although I enjoyed the hell out of them at the time). Fingers crossed -- I'll post notes when I open it, hopefully this weekend.

  5. #85
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hoosier State
    Posts
    1,391

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    I found a bottle of Hirsch 21 rye at a local store yesterday. I browse this store fairly often and never noticed it before, so I grabbed it. I've not had Hirsch 21, but hope it resembles the Vintage/BMH 21s I used to enjoy. Especially since I didn't have the foresight to stash any of those away (although I enjoyed the hell out of them at the time). Fingers crossed -- I'll post notes when I open it, hopefully this weekend.
    I have found the 22 to be woody but drinkable. Interested to see if one year less in the barrel helps.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

  6. #86
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    222

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    I have found the 22 to be woody but drinkable. Interested to see if one year less in the barrel helps.

    Thanks for your notes, and I look forward to giving you my thoughts. For now, I'll say that I enjoyed BMH 18 and 21, as well as Vintage 21, but found the BMH 23 and Willett 24 ryes I tasted to be one step beyond my "happy zone" for extra-aged ryes. Perhaps we have similar taste expectations -- I found the older ryes to be very woody and tannic, and full of the flavor of dark fruits seemingly on the verge of going rotten (if that makes any sense). That said, I liked them with water or ice (or both), but found them very challenging in a way I didn't find the 21 year-olds and younger.

  7. #87
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hoosier State
    Posts
    1,391

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    Thanks for your notes, and I look forward to giving you my thoughts. For now, I'll say that I enjoyed BMH 18 and 21, as well as Vintage 21, but found the BMH 23 and Willett 24 ryes I tasted to be one step beyond my "happy zone" for extra-aged ryes. Perhaps we have similar taste expectations -- I found the older ryes to be very woody and tannic, and full of the flavor of dark fruits seemingly on the verge of going rotten (if that makes any sense). That said, I liked them with water or ice (or both), but found them very challenging in a way I didn't find the 21 year-olds and younger.
    yep, i have had the opportunity to sample 24/25 yr ryes and they are over oaked for my palate. The 22 straddles the line. I have a V21 sample from a generous SBer that I will get to shortly and can't wait to SBS it w the H22.

    exceptions for the BMH 23 and the Doug Phillips ryes which are legendary and deservedly so.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

  8. #88
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Burbs of NorCal
    Posts
    42

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    I started the year off drinking scotch. I found that I liked drinking the real peaty, smokey and woody stuff (like Ardbeg, Lagvulin, and the likes). Around March, I ventured out to bourbon w/ BT, FR, RHF and Blantons. While all were just fine, none of them stood out to me as something I'd drink daily. Then I found CEHT SB and BP, HM BIB and Lot 40, which are all on the spicy side, and lead me to purchase a few rye's this weekend:
    - Rittenhouse BIB
    - James E. Pepper
    - Willett Rye
    - CEHT Rye
    ...and 4 bottles of HM BIB

    I'm finding that Rye is where its at for me. I like the peppery spice, the cinnamon and clove, the citrus, the brineyness and I like the 100 proof stuff (maybe even a tad bit higher as I often put a splash of BP CETH in either of my CETH SB or rye - is adding BP bourbon to my rye an unspoken rule breaker?). Anyways, I'm glad to have finally settled in on a bourbon flavor profile I like.

    The HM BIB is just about a daily pour for me, though I can see either JEP or maybe the Ritt bottles getting daily twist out of me as well...
    Last edited by Jiggity; 06-09-2014 at 13:05.

  9. #89
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    Picked another bottle of Pepper 76 for the bunker and another SAOSR for the bar.

  10. #90
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    South Brunswick, New Jersey
    Posts
    370

    Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

    Passed on a High West 21 year Rye since I am fairly new to rye. But after reading old posts on the forum here about it, I am thinking I should go back.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014
    By Old Dusty in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 12:23
  2. What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2014
    By DBM in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1164
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 21:04
  3. Replies: 633
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 17:14
  4. What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013
    By Wryguy in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 326
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 13:31
  5. What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012
    By Rockefeller in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 12:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top