Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

Grabbed a Baby Saz when the opportunity arose since it's pretty much nonexistent in the Phoenix area. Now I can stop nursing my open bottle.!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    Picked up a James E Pepper rye for $30. Figured what the heck.
    You will be surprised just how good this is for $30 and will probably go back for more.

Enthusiast

Picked up a one liter of WT101 and passed on a Baby Saz.

Advanced Taster

I found a bottle of Hirsch 21 rye at a local store yesterday. I browse this store fairly often and never noticed it before, so I grabbed it. I've not had Hirsch 21, but hope it resembles the Vintage/BMH 21s I used to enjoy. Especially since I didn't have the foresight to stash any of those away (although I enjoyed the hell out of them at the time). Fingers crossed -- I'll post notes when I open it, hopefully this weekend.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    I found a bottle of Hirsch 21 rye at a local store yesterday. I browse this store fairly often and never noticed it before, so I grabbed it. I've not had Hirsch 21, but hope it resembles the Vintage/BMH 21s I used to enjoy. Especially since I didn't have the foresight to stash any of those away (although I enjoyed the hell out of them at the time). Fingers crossed -- I'll post notes when I open it, hopefully this weekend.
    I have found the 22 to be woody but drinkable. Interested to see if one year less in the barrel helps.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    I have found the 22 to be woody but drinkable. Interested to see if one year less in the barrel helps.

Thanks for your notes, and I look forward to giving you my thoughts. For now, I'll say that I enjoyed BMH 18 and 21, as well as Vintage 21, but found the BMH 23 and Willett 24 ryes I tasted to be one step beyond my "happy zone" for extra-aged ryes. Perhaps we have similar taste expectations -- I found the older ryes to be very woody and tannic, and full of the flavor of dark fruits seemingly on the verge of going rotten (if that makes any sense). That said, I liked them with water or ice (or both), but found them very challenging in a way I didn't find the 21 year-olds and younger.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    Thanks for your notes, and I look forward to giving you my thoughts. For now, I'll say that I enjoyed BMH 18 and 21, as well as Vintage 21, but found the BMH 23 and Willett 24 ryes I tasted to be one step beyond my "happy zone" for extra-aged ryes. Perhaps we have similar taste expectations -- I found the older ryes to be very woody and tannic, and full of the flavor of dark fruits seemingly on the verge of going rotten (if that makes any sense). That said, I liked them with water or ice (or both), but found them very challenging in a way I didn't find the 21 year-olds and younger.
    yep, i have had the opportunity to sample 24/25 yr ryes and they are over oaked for my palate. The 22 straddles the line. I have a V21 sample from a generous SBer that I will get to shortly and can't wait to SBS it w the H22.

exceptions for the BMH 23 and the Doug Phillips ryes which are legendary and deservedly so.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Apprentice

I started the year off drinking scotch. I found that I liked drinking the real peaty, smokey and woody stuff (like Ardbeg, Lagvulin, and the likes). Around March, I ventured out to bourbon w/ BT, FR, RHF and Blantons. While all were just fine, none of them stood out to me as something I'd drink daily. Then I found CEHT SB and BP, HM BIB and Lot 40, which are all on the spicy side, and lead me to purchase a few rye's this weekend:
    - Rittenhouse BIB
    - James E. Pepper
    - Willett Rye
    - CEHT Rye
    ...and 4 bottles of HM BIB

I'm finding that Rye is where its at for me. I like the peppery spice, the cinnamon and clove, the citrus, the brineyness and I like the 100 proof stuff (maybe even a tad bit higher as I often put a splash of BP CETH in either of my CETH SB or rye - is adding BP bourbon to my rye an unspoken rule breaker?). Anyways, I'm glad to have finally settled in on a bourbon flavor profile I like.

The HM BIB is just about a daily pour for me, though I can see either JEP or maybe the Ritt bottles getting daily twist out of me as well...
    Last edited by Jiggity; 06-09-2014 at 13:05.

Disciple

Picked another bottle of Pepper 76 for the bunker and another SAOSR for the bar.

Enthusiast

Passed on a High West 21 year Rye since I am fairly new to rye. But after reading old posts on the forum here about it, I am thinking I should go back.