Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

Nothing fancy. Bulleit 95 and Dickel Rye which are very affordable, tasty and make a nice cocktail when mixed with Vernor's ginger ale. The perfect drink when it's blazing hot humid!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensfire View Post
    My point was that I'd rather see the initial release lower at the young 2 year point so we'd see more at the higher aging levels. Enough to wet people's interest plus get the buzz going and in a couple of years have a solid release.
    Arguably they already have a solid 4 year old release drawn from that well of rye up in Indiana.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Arguably they already have a solid 4 year old release drawn from that well of rye up in Indiana.
    True, but you can get that other places, even though I think there's something about what Willett does than generally produces a better product. I really look foward to pure Willett.

Hmmm, so with the amount that willett seems to be producing, have they stopped getting rye from up north? Can't remember seeing anything on that.
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Guru

True, but you can get that other places, even though I think there's something about what Willett does than generally produces a better product.
    What they do is put it in a very attractive bottle.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Sorry, I wasn't too clear - the 100k+ number is what I've seen that they are releasing as the 2 year rye. I'm sure they have more aging to allow similar numbers at the 4-6 year level, then significantly decreasing from there. My point was that I'd rather see the initial release lower at the young 2 year point so we'd see more at the higher aging levels. Enough to wet people's interest plus get the buzz going and in a couple of years have a solid release.
    Aha. yeah, I was thinking that stock was in barrels. Wow that's a lot of bottles. Or maybe it isn't - I have no idea how much they're selling. It would really be cool to know about some sales figures sometime, just for fun.

Connoisseur

True, but you can get that other places, even though I think there's something about what Willett does than generally produces a better product. I really look foward to pure Willett.

Hmmm, so with the amount that willett seems to be producing, have they stopped getting rye from up north? Can't remember seeing anything on that.
    I think Willett has some really great rack houses, and those two hills (along with Heaven Hill) sure do seem to consistently put some beautiful age on whiskey. Something about that microclimate?

We'd better stop enjoying this discussion before the thread drift police come along.

Enthusiast

Indeed. Would a friendly mod mind moving this tangent of a discussion to the 2 year Willett rye thread where it properly belongs? Apologies for the sidetracking...
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Enthusiast

Happy to add these two into my home bar. Saz 18 I'll save for another time to taste but I'll crack open Old Potrero tonight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409113790.576645.jpg

Connoisseur

Grabbed a Dickel rye today.

Advanced Taster

Picked up a Baby Saz.. Surprised to find it. The clerk was like this must be the last one til next year. I told her i thought it came out octoberish around the time as the BTAC release.. She said they must of got it early this year..

am on wrong on October as the normal release? Or did it come out early this year?