Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hi from Nashville!! And newbie question...

Hi all. I am Wes from Nashville, TN. I am new here (clearly). I did have a quick question that may be hard to answer. I've always enjoyed whiskey but never really appreciated it. I've always just taken it with coke, or giner ale, but never spent a lot of time just enjoying the whiskey itself. Whats the best way to kind of get into that? I've bought some suggested Rye whiskey, Old Overholt. A friend suggested it, said it wasn't to bad for a bottle under $20 so I figured why not! I'd love to learn the nuances, and being able to tell you oh yeah I like this one because of this and this, rather than that one burns more than that one!

I'm slowly working on this rye, and while decent, I couldn't tell you what about it I like it or don't like. Can just say yes good or no bad. I also tend to drink it on ice, and prefer it after it has set in the ice for a while and cooled down and watered down a little. And I will say I just use ice from the ice maker, no special ice here. Is this entirely blasphemous?

Thanks all! Look forward to learning more.

Enthusiast

Re: Hi from Nashville!! And newbie question...

There are far more knowledgeable people here than me, but I'd suggest you try a few different types (Wheated or Rye mashbills) and producers to get a baseline of what you like.
    Maybe try some Weller12, Four Roses Small Batch, and I'd throw in Buillet (only because it was one of the main Bourbons that renewed my interest a few years ago).
    Rittenhouse 100 is a good, inexpensive option if you want to try another Rye.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Connoisseur

Welcome Wes, I often add a little ice, so I don't think there's anything wrong with that. As to appreciating nuances and complexities of whiskies, these are more associated with age and or higher proof. Overholt is 3-4 years old and 80 proof, not very complex. If you like ryes, I can suggest Rittenhouse 100 proof, and George Dickel Rye.

Guru

Hey Wes, welcome aboard. Yes, ice is fine as are mixers if you like, there is no correct way. My late Father, a man of discerning tastes, would have been aghast that anyone other than a drunk would drink whisky straight.

In an historical side note a good number (most?) of the traditional Bourbon brands were in fact designed with the expectation that their product would be served over ice with mixers or in cocktails.

The shot of rye on the bar is a Western concept dreamed up by Hollywood screenwriters. On the morning of the famous shoot out at the OK Corral the Clanton Brothers were in a local saloon getting drunk on gin fizzes as testified to at the trial by the bartender who served them.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Welcome Wes. I would be shocked if anyone on here would reccomend OO as a rye to be tasted neat. It just isn't really very good, at least not anymore.

Now just as soon as I hit quick reply someone will defend so let's just say that I don't like.

Now RITTBIB, GDR, CETH rye are another thing altogether, IMHO.

Guru

It's ok for a mixer but not much more. Of course it's better than no whisky atall.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    It's ok for a mixer but not much more. Of course it's better than no whisky atall.
    I used to be happy with 80 proof mixers until I picked up this hobby last year. Now if I do mix it has to 100 proof minimum.

Oh and Wes I left my favorite value rye, Baby Zaz.

Guru

If you can't get there with 80 proof you ain't trying.

Disciple

Well it's because I don't have the stayin power that I had 50 years ago. For me now it has to be wham, bam, thank you mam.

Guru

At our age they should be thanking us.