Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hello from West Tennessee!

I have long enjoyed this site and forum as a source of reviews and information about American whiskies, and I've finally decided to become a contributor.

My name is Dustin, and I'm primarily a George Dickel drinker, but I occasionally try other brands of bourbon and Tennessee whiskey, and even scotch on occasion. I don't do fruity drinks, and I'm not much into beer because the smell of hops doesn't really agree with me. As you may guess, my screen name on here derives from my belief that a good whisky should never be shot, and those who do should! Okay, not really, I don't condone violence against our fellow man, but I do think a drink that takes so much time and effort to produce should be smelled, sipped, and savored, and not thrown back with abandon.

In my younger days, I can remember my friends' drink of choice was Jim Beam bourbon, and they would shoot it and chase it with whatever kind of soda pop they could find, typically Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper. I wasn't much into that and I knew there had to be something better to do, and as I remember, I actually abhorred the scent of bourbon! Growing up, I tried every variety of beer and spirit there was, hoping to find something that was actually drinkable and enjoyable, and not just something to get drunk on.

It wasn't until years later that I discovered that whisky was actually quite good, if approached from the proper angle. The scent of bourbon now even brings to mind good memories, and I can't say that I've tried a single brand I would consider "bad." Once I tried George Dickel Tennessee whisky some years ago, it has been my usual daily pour, but I've never missed an opportunity to try others, from the relatively inexpensive to the finer top-shelf offerings. I even still occasionally sample Jack Daniel's just to remind myself that price has nothing to do with preference.

I look forward to being part of the community here and taking part in many a discussion on bourbon and related topics!

Enthusiast

Re: Hello from West Tennessee!

Welcome, Non-Shooting Person. There is much good info on here, and the conversation, from time to time, is even better (hahaha). I look forward to your comments. I started with JD many years ago (before cell phones, even) so won't hold your love of non-Kentucky whiskey against you (another hahaha).

Connoisseur

Welcome to the club. I was born and reared in TN and happen to be quite fond of Mr. Dickel as well.

Guru

Hey DS, welcome aboard, look forward to your contributions.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Glad you decided to join us DS! Here's to many years of discussion and distinguished drinking for you.

Connoisseur

Welcome from the north!

No shame in liking Dickel, many have given praise to its virtues here.

I'm happy to drink #12 any day of the week.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Welcome to the forums Dustin! Glad to have you here.

Advanced Taster

Welcome, Dustin, from an ex-West Tennessean. Your post is so well-written that I'm guessing you're from Northwest Tennessee.

As a matter of fact, Gibson County, to be exact! I'm only about 35 minutes from the Missouri or Kentucky line. It makes things flexible.

Advanced Taster

Thought as much. I grew up next door in Dyer County.

Before joining SB I was devoted to Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam. While there is nothing wrong with them at all, my horizons have expanded considerably. I've grown fond of "wheaters" and am partial to just about anything produced at the Buffalo Trace distillery. Enjoy the journey!