Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Canadian Club Chairman's Select 100% Rye

Was on Facebook and the CC page was advertising this. Stated on the page this rye is made from single rye grain is aged in new oak barrels; after reading this, had to grab a bottle. Went to lcbo here in Ontario and picked it up for $27. It is great. A bit mellow, spicy, but can really taste the toasted oak in the background. Much different than other Canadian 100% ryes like Lot 40 or Alberta Premium. Very impressed.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Canadian Club Chairman's Select 100% Rye

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    Was on Facebook and the CC page was advertising this. Stated on the page this rye is made from single rye grain is aged in new oak barrels; after reading this, had to grab a bottle. Went to lcbo here in Ontario and picked it up for $27. It is great. A bit mellow, spicy, but can really taste the toasted oak in the background. Much different than other Canadian 100% ryes like Lot 40 or Alberta Premium. Very impressed.
    I saw this as well and picked one up. It is very good, and a great value.

It seems clearly to be 100% flavouring rye (i.e., distilled at a low proof like American rye). There is a noticeable congeneric smell, yet it does seem different to Lot 40, younger and without any charred barrel effect. I wonder if it is the same spirit as Lot 40 but aged in different wood for a different period, hard to say.

I think the idea of new barrels is to give it a strong wood taste to stand-up to the rye congeners, at least at relatively young bottling ages, if so it works very well.

I still prefer rye mash aged 100% in new charred barrels, to me you get the best taste that way, so far no Canadian product has come out doing it this way as far as I know. Hard to say why, perhaps this style is considered the remit of U.S. distilling. (Perhaps though the NAFTA trade agreement has some effect here, I should take a look at it).

Anyway, hats off to CC, this is fine whiskey at a very fair price point.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I saw this as well and picked one up. It is very good, and a great value.

It seems clearly to be 100% flavouring rye
    Had a bottle in my hand an hour ago but put it back on the shelf. My fear was this was just another blend of "flavouring whisky" and so-called GNS style whisky. If indeed it tastes like all flavouring whisky I will pick one up despite it being the bare minimum 80 proof, chill filtered, and likely with colour added.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Guru

Good assessment Gary, this ones on my list. As to new vs used barrel stylistic differences there's a practical component as well, at least for other CC brands, which is parent company Beam has alot of used barrels at their disposal.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Thanks and thought I'd give it a further, more detailed look.

Nose: Definite spice and chemical notes, very similar to any young rye spirit in this respect in the States (Lot 40 is not dissimilar). No char or smokey notes.

Taste: Sweet with pleasant woody notes balanced by spice, waxy notes, pine sol. It doesn't taste as if any sugar of some kind is added but possibly a little is, hard to say. Very good mouthfeel.

Finish: The rye congeners and wood gums again with some tingly notes from the alcohol and tannins.

It is a gentle spirit but very flavourful, brandy-like, like a good-value Cognac except with rye whiskey.

It doesn't really remind me of CC which has a typical "cigar box" signature. It is more like Lot 40 but a little sweeter I'd say and probably younger, perhaps just 4 years old or so.

A really good product and I don't get any grain alcohol in it, I don't think it is blended with high proof spirit. The Facebook site doesn't give distillation details and says only it is 100% rye spirit. Since CC's flavouring whiskey is all-rye IIRC, I'd think this is that white dog except put in new toasted barrels and not mixed with the base whisky distilled out at a high proof. I could be wrong but it doesn't have that "doctor's office" taste most Canuck blends have.

Gary

Advanced Taster

A really good product and I don't get any grain alcohol in it, I don't think it is blended with high proof spirit. The Facebook site doesn't give distillation details and says only it is 100% rye spirit. Since CC's flavouring whiskey is all-rye IIRC, I'd think this is that white dog except put in new toasted barrels and not mixed with the base whisky distilled out at a high proof. I could be wrong but it doesn't have that "doctor's office" taste most Canuck blends have.

Gary
    Yes. I noticed the facebook page the admin incharge of the page is commenting that they do use new oak and could call it "straight rye" if they wanted to but choose not to. I enjoy it, but my only complaint it that it is too mellow. I think bumping up the proof to 45-50% would make this much better and worth a slightly higher pricepoint.

I did see that comment about straight whisky but found it confusing. I'd guess the new oak used is toasted, not charred, but maybe I'm wrong.

Gary

Connoisseur

Nothing official, but for what it's worth, I did see a comment on twitter (Oct 2) by the guru of Canadian Whisky marketing (Davin de Kergommeaux) that it is "7 years plus in virgin oak barrels)
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Well, Davin would know. Virgin suggests to me toasted oak not charred (I doubt they would use completely untoasted wood). Anyway it's very good and 80 proof, while the minimum, suits it IMO.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Well, Davin would know. Virgin suggests to me toasted oak not charred (I doubt they would use completely untoasted wood). Anyway it's very good and 80 proof, while the minimum, suits it IMO.

Gary
    Maybe I have been thinking about "virgin oak" wrong. On the Masters of Malt page they give this definition;
    • Virgin Oak Oak which has not yet been used for the maturation of an alcoholic beverage is termed Virgin Oak. Virgin Oak imparts a great deal of character to a whisk(e)y. This is rare in Scotch Whisky production, for the spirit becomes quickly overpowered by the character of the oak, though some industries, notably Bourbon, solely use Virgin Oak.

With that definition, and being used in bourbon, suggests charred. Hmmmm