Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

Figured it's about time for a new thread.

I ordered a Springbank 17 CS Refill sherry cask. I've had this before and it's amazing. I originally ordered a Signatory Laphroaig 15 first fill bourbon barrel to go with it, but apparently Binny's is having issues updating their online stock, and it was sold out. So I substituted a Duncan Taylor Dimension Springbank 18 CS. LA Whiskey Society didn't seem to care for it, but they are rarely consistent with my tastes and I found a number of other complimentary reviews online as well. I am not certain what sort of cask it was aged in (the sales associate couldn't find it on the bottle and all their whisky folks left for Scotland today to do their annual barrel purchases), but I'm sort of hoping it's bourbon. I'd like to try a bourbon aged Springbank. I'm assuming it's some sort of refill sherry, though. I normally wouldn't be as willing to go out on a limb, but I love Springbank and DT's Dimensions line hasn't steered me wrong yet.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

Took me a while to track down, but I finally got my first Clynelish 14. Grabbed a Glenfarclas 12 too.

Connoisseur

Great choices. Glenfarclas makes good stuff, and Clynelish is really interesting. I forgot to mention that on top of ordering those whiskies, I also picked up a Laphroaig 18 for $69. Laphroaigs lack of response when I emailed them to ask if the 18 was being discontinued made me nervous so I folded and bought a backup bottle. I'm still operating under the assumption that it's not going anywhere, but you know the old saying: two is one, one is none.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

Good move, Eric. How many is three?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Auracom View Post
    Good move, Eric. How many is three?
    Half of a good start.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Half of a good start.
    Sounds like I've got more work to do .

Enthusiast

Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

Picked up some dusties. 17 year bowmore, 1982 glenrothes bottled in 1997, 15 year old glendronach. Passed on 30 year old bowmore sea dragon at 250. It didn't have the presentation box.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412727350.936984.jpg
    Last edited by bin31z; 10-07-2014 at 17:22.

Enthusiast

180 for everything, not bad similar to current prices for a taste of scotch from the 90's.

Apprentice

I found this dusty oddity perched on an out of the way corner shelf in a fairly busy store and picked up the few bottles that were left. A bit of a risk because I knew very little about the Imperial distillery (I now know that it has been demolished) and nothing about these particular bottles but I opened one up last night and was pleasantly surprised. According to Whiskybase, 'Battlehill' is a label by the independent bottler Duncan Taylor, with this particular example bottled (NC & NCF) in 2007 from 1998 distillate.

It’s definitely a Speyside in nature; vanilla, honey, apples, pears etc. There’s some dusty oak and yeastiness (beeriness) on the nose. Mouth feel is excellent for 43% ABV; creamy with good viscosity and ‘adhesion’ and no excessive heat. It seems like well-made spirit. Quite sweet and fruity initially then the oak asserts itself and a more dry and bitter character develops. A surprisingly extended finish for a relatively young Speyside malt. I find it very similar to a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra I once had, but not quite as dry and without the fire (the Nadurra had quite a bit of heat even when diluted with water). My first single malt dusty find and my first dead distillery bottles!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Passing through Amsterdam I picked up a Nikka Coffey Malt to compliment the Nikka Coffey Grain that I already have plus a back up Nikka from the Barrel which is excellent but only a 0.5L bottle. So a back up is definitely needed! Had hoped to have lots of time to shop the stores in Amsterdam but thanks to my own boneheaded move of leaving my phone on the plane when I arrived I had to spend a ton of time trying to recover it and rush just to get these. Annoying but no one to blame but myself.

I did at least manage to recover the phone but it was a bit of a pyrrhic victory.

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum