Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

Whisky value comparable to Bourbon

I'm looking to branch out to other whiskys besides bourbon. I love the fact I can get bourbons like Evan Williams single barrel 10 year for $20. Are there any comparable foreign whiskys that offer such a great bang for buck?

Connoisseur

Re: Whisky value comparable to Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave43 View Post
    I'm looking to branch out to other whiskys besides bourbon. I love the fact I can get bourbons like Evan Williams single barrel 10 year for $20. Are there any comparable foreign whiskys that offer such a great bang for buck?
    It depends on your taste in whiskies. Glenmorangie Original can be had for the low-mid thirties. There's nothing wrong with Johnnie Walker Black for $25 ish. Monkey Shoulder is a great and reasonably priced blend. Same for Compass Box Great King Street. Overall it depends on your budget: I can get Lagavulin 16 for $45, and that's insanely cheap to me.
    Eric

Guru

Comparable perhaps in price but different in character. There are a number of distilled spirits Worldwide (rum, brandy, etc.) but if we're talking whisky that would be Scotch, Irish or Canadian and 90% or more of those in the $20 price range will be blends. Nothing wrong with that but most blends lack the full, rich, robust character of Straight Bourbon. If we factor in age, proof and unblended I believe Bourbon trumps every time and nothing else comes close enough to even be called comparable.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Squire pretty much has it nailed. Depending on where you live, you're probably going to be paying double your $20 just to find a great "value" single malt. There are some amazing values to be had in Japanese whisky if you live in Japan or fly through Narita occasionally. Otherwise . . . I don't really think you're going to like most of the single malt or blends that are readily available at $20 or less. Bourbon really is the epitome of bang for your buck in the whiskey world.

I'll leave Irish and Canadian whiskies to more qualified folk, as I don't have enough experience with them to speak intelligently about them. Though people seem to like Black Velvet around here.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

I can get Famous Grouse 18YO Pure Malt for $21 a 700ml bottle. It is actually pretty tasty! I think is could appeal to bourbon drinkers as it is growing on me. It starts out aged sherry sweet, but ends on a bit of smoke that does not overwhelm in peatyness. A nice balance that plays off its Macallan 18 and Highland Park 18 components. I don't think such a deal is available in 'Merica though.

Sorry

Advanced Taster

I think there are comparable values just at a different price point. While it isn't to everyone's taste Laphroaig 10 year can regularly be had on sale for $40 or $45. It's not $20 but it's a great value. Sadly the recent boom has affected Single Malt prices much more than bourbon prices although that is changing. Drams you used to regularly find for $40-50 are now $60-$70. But then Elijah Craig 18 used to be $35 and now EC23 is $200. Squire is spot on - in the bang for the buck category blends are the way to go - check out Cutty Sark Prohibition. 100 proof and a really nice dram and it's $25-$30. And if you want a dose of peat check out Islay Mist - it's young but a nice little dram that's easy on the wallet.

Guru

No, IMHO. If I look at the equation of enjoyment per dollar, I can't find any other whiskey for under $20 (or under $30) that I like anywhere near as much as I like several bourbons. This is strictly on a "great bang for buck" perspective. Not considering bourbon, there are whiskies out there which I think are well worth the money. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for $45 is something I enjoy. I have found some private labels (Total Wine's "Shieldaig" has a NAS Highland Single Malt for under $20 that has enough peat in it to be interesting, and for the price I think is solid). But if I had a very limited budget, I would unfortunately have to skip almost everything else (although a bottle of Lafrog will always be available because it is just so funky ) This isn't a slam on Scotch or others, either. Our bottling policies, taxes, etc make it more costly for them.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    No, IMHO. If I look at the equation of enjoyment per dollar, I can't find any other whiskey for under $20 (or under $30) that I like anywhere near as much as I like several bourbons. This is strictly on a "great bang for buck" perspective. Not considering bourbon, there are whiskies out there which I think are well worth the money. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for $45 is something I enjoy. I have found some private labels (Total Wine's "Shieldaig" has a NAS Highland Single Malt for under $20 that has enough peat in it to be interesting, and for the price I think is solid). But if I had a very limited budget, I would unfortunately have to skip almost everything else (although a bottle of Lafrog will always be available because it is just so funky ) This isn't a slam on Scotch or others, either. Our bottling policies, taxes, etc make it more costly for them.
    To be honest this makes me appreciate the affordability of good bourbon even after recent price hikes. Not a fan of scotch as the peat is off putting (bandaid smells) I would like to try some Irish whisky's though if the price was right. Especially non traditional aging in sherry/port barrels.

Guru

To be honest this makes me appreciate the affordability of good bourbon even after recent price hikes. Not a fan of scotch as the peat is off putting (bandaid smells) I would like to try some Irish whisky's though if the price was right. Especially non traditional aging in sherry/port barrels.
    I love Irish Whiskey and it was my first introduction to whiskey many years ago but the ones at a $20 price point (or even close to that) probably don't stand up to the excellent bourbons to be found at that price. Less expensive Irish Whiskey, like Scotch, is predominantly blended whiskey. A recent favorite in the budget range is the Powers lane Signature Release but even that is around $45. Perhaps a good place to start is Bushmills "Black Bush" which is sherry finished and can be in the mid $30's.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Not a fan of scotch as the peat is off putting (bandaid smells).
    I know of their similarities on paper, but i view Scotch and Bourbon as different animals and evaluate them as such. I have to agree that pure bang for the buck goes to Bourbon, but bang for the buck is ultimately in your tastebuds.

As an aside, there are many Scotches that don't have the peat component.

Many good recommendations above, but I'll add one more - Tomatin 12yr. Single Malt, sherried, can be had (at least in the midwest) for $29/bottle, no peat, and I like it very much.. squarely in my "value pour" category.
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich