Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 442

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,269

    What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    It's Spring 2014 so what better time than now for a new thread!

    I'm just sitting back and enjoying a pour from one of my standards: Talisker 10. I'm always blown away by how good this 10yr old is after a long absence - there's a good reason why I always have one of these open in my bar. Slainte!
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 03-25-2014 at 22:17.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    903

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    After coaxing it out of its wooden sarcophagus, I decided to crack open my GlenDronach 33 tonight. I really have to quell my urge to open my nice bottles with a dramatic flourish...the last two times I've ended up with broken, crumbling corks.

    The nose of this one is huge, though not terribly complex. Maybe the most sherried malt I've ever tasted. Pure, rich candy. Like drinking a Luxardo cherry. At 40% ABV it just sits in your mouth, almost cool to your tongue. Finish is nice and long...you can only tell it's whiskey after you swallow.

    I won't be holding back on enjoying this bottle whenever I am in the mood. It's delicious, and I will savor each glass, but I don't feel the need to squirrel it away...and that's a good thing.

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    879

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    After coaxing it out of its wooden sarcophagus, I decided to crack open my GlenDronach 33 tonight. I really have to quell my urge to open my nice bottles with a dramatic flourish...the last two times I've ended up with broken, crumbling corks.

    The nose of this one is huge, though not terribly complex. Maybe the most sherried malt I've ever tasted. Pure, rich candy. Like drinking a Luxardo cherry. At 40% ABV it just sits in your mouth, almost cool to your tongue. Finish is nice and long...you can only tell it's whiskey after you swallow.

    I won't be holding back on enjoying this bottle whenever I am in the mood. It's delicious, and I will savor each glass, but I don't feel the need to squirrel it away...and that's a good thing.
    That's a hell of a start to this thread. Nicely done. March has me more into Irish and Bourbon. My interest in scotch will emerge again soon.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    704

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Last night I went to a Compass Box event with the GBS fellas. I hit the Delilah's, Spice Tree, and John Glaser pulled out a little of The General for us to try.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,087

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    That's a refreshing attitude Trey, drink the good stuff now and savor the memory.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,269

    What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    John Glaser pulled out a little of The General for us to try.
    So... It's not the dram I'm looking for? (In my best Asian Obi-Wan Kenobi accent)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    704

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    So... It's not the dram I'm looking for? (In my best Asian Obi-Wan Kenobi accent)
    It was an exceptional pour.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

  8. #8
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    It was an exceptional pour.
    Exactly what I didn't need to hear
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    704

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Exactly what I didn't need to hear
    I choose my friends based on their abilities to make me feel better about my miscreant behavior.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    I choose my friends based on their abilities to make me feel better about my miscreant behavior.
    We should get along just fine then! (Frantically searching online for a bottle)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?
    By TunnelTiger in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 485
    Last Post: 09-14-2014, 17:50
  2. What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014
    By Virus_Of_Life in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 974
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 19:49
  3. What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013
    By Virus_Of_Life in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 351
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 08:51
  4. Replies: 110
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 14:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top