Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

Whoops, that was supposed to be Aberlour 20 year old Darkness!

Just finished Benrinnes 15 year old Pedro Darkness! (yum) and Benrinnes 15 year old Oloroso Darkness! (meh).

Now finishing the night with more Clynelish 14.

Enthusiast

Just having some Hakushu Bourbon Barrel.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    Was a cold day in August so popped a Laphroag 10 CS Red Stripe, 57.3. Man that is some good stuff. Really better than the latest batches.
    Just ED'd one of these. ~sniff~ ~sniff~

Damn good malt.

Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Enthusiast

More Clynelish 14. The bottle is almost done...

Connoisseur

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

Thanks to a generous SBer I'm enjoying a pour of Mac CS.

Connoisseur

Opened my bottle of Ardbeg Auriverdes tonight. My initial impressions are mixed. It has the satisfying Ardbeg peat blast I love, but once that recedes, things get a little odd. I did get some hints of cocoa, but mostly the dram was alternatingly spirity and over oaked, with almost a pine flavor thrown in. I watered it to taste and gave it some time to settle down. It did, but the water brought out some characteristics I identify with younger spirit out as well (saccharin sweetness, play doh on the finish). For my initial dram from the bottle, about all I got was that it is peated and probably needs more air time to settle down. The oak flavors don't seem very well integrated with the spirit, making for abrupt flavor shifts.

I think it will be pretty good once I air it out a bit, but it is disappointing that I have to. Most Islays ring my bell right away. Regardless of the time I give it to settle down, I don't think it'll be any major improvement over Ardbeg 10 or Corryvreckan. Probably no surprise to anyone who has been burned by Ardbeg's recent shenanigans, but the early reviews led me to hope it would be more like Ardbeg 10 with some toasty mocha notes. I'll keep updating you all as the bottle settles down.
    Eric

Enthusiast

Pouring a dram of Balvenie 15 single barrel and another of Johnnie Walker Green.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Topping off this long Monday with a pour of Bush Pilot's Canadian.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

I'm revisiting Ardbeg Auriverdes tonight. I poured a dram and gave it about 45 minutes to air out. Still getting lots of peat, but also some talisker-esque pepper, which sort of melds into chocolate with chili powder on the finish. With water, the chocolate notes disappear and end up as a really distinctive pine (as in the taste equivalent of what you smell if you take a big ol whiff of pine 2x4). Not necessarily unpleasant, but not as nice as the chocolate notes. It's a little on the hot side without water, but I think I prefer this as a slow sipper vs getting the pine notes. Overall, pretty bright and "effervescent" (never really got that before now). Depending on if this keeps evolving, I may end up preferring it somewhat to Ardbeg 10 (definitely Uigeadail), but probably not Corryvreckan.

At any rate, this is a nice whisky, though not really worth the price tag.

Edit: Forgot to add, I tried it SBS in glencairn and NEAT glasses. The glencairn obviously noses better, but the whisky tastes better out of the NEAT glass.
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 08-25-2014 at 21:23.
    Eric

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    I'm revisiting Ardbeg Auriverdes tonight. I poured a dram and gave it about 45 minutes to air out. Still getting lots of peat, but also some talisker-esque pepper, which sort of melds into chocolate with chili powder on the finish. With water, the chocolate notes disappear and end up as a really distinctive pine (as in the taste equivalent of what you smell if you take a big ol whiff of pine 2x4). Not necessarily unpleasant, but not as nice as the chocolate notes. It's a little on the hot side without water, but I think I prefer this as a slow sipper vs getting the pine notes. Overall, pretty bright and "effervescent" (never really got that before now). Depending on if this keeps evolving, I may end up preferring it somewhat to Ardbeg 10 (definitely Uigeadail), but probably not Corryvreckan.

At any rate, this is a nice whisky, though not really worth the price tag.

Edit: Forgot to add, I tried it SBS in glencairn and NEAT glasses. The glencairn obviously noses better, but the whisky tastes better out of the NEAT glass.
    Thx for the notes - I prefer drinking barrel proof/cask strength whiskies out of a snifter myself
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof