Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 501
  1. #91
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,115

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    If you're ever in Seattle Joe, let us know!
    Thanks y'all! I hope that day comes very soon! Gorgeous part of the country. I've enjoyed all of my visits there!
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  2. #92
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    445

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    I stocked up on a few essentials today (couple bourbons, talisker, laphroaig and ardbeg aswell as some apperetifs and odds and ends) and when I got home I looked over the receipt and noticed the clerk hadnt scanned the ardbeg, so I went back and for my effort was offered 50% off any whiskey.

    So I rolled the dice and grabbed a bottle of Black Bull 12 yr blended scotch, kinda pricey at $80rrp for a blend but my first impression is very good. Its 100 proof and its feels like a grown up version of johhny black label (which is good but overpriced IMO)
    Its got plenty of sherry sweetness up front, a light smokey mid, bit of dusty chocolate and raisin on the nose and back palate, fairly long finish thats tannic enougb to keep the saliva flowing and me wanting more. I may pay full price for this next time.

  3. #93
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    580

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Had a splash of Ardbeg 10 last night while catching up on Archer. That one just scratches the Islay itch for me......and I'm itchy often.
    Josh

    "The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

  4. #94
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    696

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    I stocked up on a few essentials today (couple bourbons, talisker, laphroaig and ardbeg aswell as some apperetifs and odds and ends) and when I got home I looked over the receipt and noticed the clerk hadnt scanned the ardbeg, so I went back and for my effort was offered 50% off any whiskey.

    So I rolled the dice and grabbed a bottle of Black Bull 12 yr blended scotch, kinda pricey at $80rrp for a blend but my first impression is very good. Its 100 proof and its feels like a grown up version of johhny black label (which is good but overpriced IMO)
    Its got plenty of sherry sweetness up front, a light smokey mid, bit of dusty chocolate and raisin on the nose and back palate, fairly long finish thats tannic enougb to keep the saliva flowing and me wanting more. I may pay full price for this next time.
    I've heard good things about Black Bull 12, glad to see that it stacks up. If you're ever in the mood for a real splurge, check out Black Bull 40. I don't think you would be able to find a less expensive 40 year old whisky (at least not of similar quality), and it is an amazing gentle dram. The 30 year old supposedly has a lot more oomph to it, if you prefer bolder whiskies.
    Eric

  5. #95
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Columbus, IN
    Posts
    740

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Having a wee nip of Ealanta as a change of pace this evening.

  6. #96
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,115

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    Having a wee nip of Ealanta as a change of pace this evening.
    I had the same intention last night WAG, and my choice was a Balvenie DoubleWood for my change of pace. Unfortunately, it fell completely flat for me after an evening of powerhouse bourbons, particularly a Four Roses OBSK which really shone. I usually enjoy this expression of Balvenie, and thought it would be a nice night ender, but it just lacked the firepower to keep up. It seemed unbalanced, and just a mess of sweetness. I'll have to remember that for next time.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  7. #97
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    746

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I had the same intention last night WAG, and my choice was a Balvenie DoubleWood for my change of pace. Unfortunately, it fell completely flat for me after an evening of powerhouse bourbons, particularly a Four Roses OBSK which really shone. I usually enjoy this expression of Balvenie, and thought it would be a nice night ender, but it just lacked the firepower to keep up. It seemed unbalanced, and just a mess of sweetness. I'll have to remember that for next time.
    Yeah, I know some folks like Bruce can be all over the map but I can't really mix bourbon drinking and scotch drinking. It just doesn't work for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

  8. #98
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    2,430

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Yeah, I know some folks like Bruce can be all over the map but I can't really mix bourbon drinking and scotch drinking. It just doesn't work for me.
    I haven't had much experience with this, but I think starting with a scotch like the Balvenie DW and moving to bourbon would work for me, while the other way around - I'd have the same experience as Joe. Now that might not work with a strong Islay single malt . . . although that might be interesting to try!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

  9. #99
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    746

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I haven't had much experience with this, but I think starting with a scotch like the Balvenie DW and moving to bourbon would work for me, while the other way around - I'd have the same experience as Joe. Now that might not work with a strong Islay single malt . . . although that might be interesting to try!
    Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to with the characteristics of one melding with the other. I like all whiskeys but I have to be in the mood for each. If I'm in a bourbon mood, throwing a scotch in there does not go well and the other way too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

  10. #100
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,100

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to with the characteristics of one melding with the other. I like all whiskeys but I have to be in the mood for each. If I'm in a bourbon mood, throwing a scotch in there does not go well and the other way too.
    I agree with this. I normally do not mix bourbon and malt - one bourbon and I'm hooked on it for the night. One exception would be that I can mix (though carefully) when doing small tastes of many whiskeys. Another exception is when a meal separates them; I can have a few of one or the other, eat dinner and dive into either afterwards, depending on what I'm in the mood for.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?
    By TunnelTiger in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 498
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 18:36
  2. What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014
    By Virus_Of_Life in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 974
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 19:49
  3. What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013
    By Virus_Of_Life in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 351
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 08:51
  4. Replies: 110
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 14:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top