Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    If you're ever in Seattle Joe, let us know!
    Thanks y'all! I hope that day comes very soon! Gorgeous part of the country. I've enjoyed all of my visits there!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

I stocked up on a few essentials today (couple bourbons, talisker, laphroaig and ardbeg aswell as some apperetifs and odds and ends) and when I got home I looked over the receipt and noticed the clerk hadnt scanned the ardbeg, so I went back and for my effort was offered 50% off any whiskey.

So I rolled the dice and grabbed a bottle of Black Bull 12 yr blended scotch, kinda pricey at $80rrp for a blend but my first impression is very good. Its 100 proof and its feels like a grown up version of johhny black label (which is good but overpriced IMO)
    Its got plenty of sherry sweetness up front, a light smokey mid, bit of dusty chocolate and raisin on the nose and back palate, fairly long finish thats tannic enougb to keep the saliva flowing and me wanting more. I may pay full price for this next time.

Connoisseur

Had a splash of Ardbeg 10 last night while catching up on Archer. That one just scratches the Islay itch for me......and I'm itchy often.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    I stocked up on a few essentials today (couple bourbons, talisker, laphroaig and ardbeg aswell as some apperetifs and odds and ends) and when I got home I looked over the receipt and noticed the clerk hadnt scanned the ardbeg, so I went back and for my effort was offered 50% off any whiskey.

So I rolled the dice and grabbed a bottle of Black Bull 12 yr blended scotch, kinda pricey at $80rrp for a blend but my first impression is very good. Its 100 proof and its feels like a grown up version of johhny black label (which is good but overpriced IMO)
    Its got plenty of sherry sweetness up front, a light smokey mid, bit of dusty chocolate and raisin on the nose and back palate, fairly long finish thats tannic enougb to keep the saliva flowing and me wanting more. I may pay full price for this next time.
    I've heard good things about Black Bull 12, glad to see that it stacks up. If you're ever in the mood for a real splurge, check out Black Bull 40. I don't think you would be able to find a less expensive 40 year old whisky (at least not of similar quality), and it is an amazing gentle dram. The 30 year old supposedly has a lot more oomph to it, if you prefer bolder whiskies.
    Eric

Connoisseur

Having a wee nip of Ealanta as a change of pace this evening.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    Having a wee nip of Ealanta as a change of pace this evening.
    I had the same intention last night WAG, and my choice was a Balvenie DoubleWood for my change of pace. Unfortunately, it fell completely flat for me after an evening of powerhouse bourbons, particularly a Four Roses OBSK which really shone. I usually enjoy this expression of Balvenie, and thought it would be a nice night ender, but it just lacked the firepower to keep up. It seemed unbalanced, and just a mess of sweetness. I'll have to remember that for next time.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I had the same intention last night WAG, and my choice was a Balvenie DoubleWood for my change of pace. Unfortunately, it fell completely flat for me after an evening of powerhouse bourbons, particularly a Four Roses OBSK which really shone. I usually enjoy this expression of Balvenie, and thought it would be a nice night ender, but it just lacked the firepower to keep up. It seemed unbalanced, and just a mess of sweetness. I'll have to remember that for next time.
    Yeah, I know some folks like Bruce can be all over the map but I can't really mix bourbon drinking and scotch drinking. It just doesn't work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Yeah, I know some folks like Bruce can be all over the map but I can't really mix bourbon drinking and scotch drinking. It just doesn't work for me.
    I haven't had much experience with this, but I think starting with a scotch like the Balvenie DW and moving to bourbon would work for me, while the other way around - I'd have the same experience as Joe. Now that might not work with a strong Islay single malt . . . although that might be interesting to try!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I haven't had much experience with this, but I think starting with a scotch like the Balvenie DW and moving to bourbon would work for me, while the other way around - I'd have the same experience as Joe. Now that might not work with a strong Islay single malt . . . although that might be interesting to try!
    Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to with the characteristics of one melding with the other. I like all whiskeys but I have to be in the mood for each. If I'm in a bourbon mood, throwing a scotch in there does not go well and the other way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to with the characteristics of one melding with the other. I like all whiskeys but I have to be in the mood for each. If I'm in a bourbon mood, throwing a scotch in there does not go well and the other way too.
    I agree with this. I normally do not mix bourbon and malt - one bourbon and I'm hooked on it for the night. One exception would be that I can mix (though carefully) when doing small tastes of many whiskeys. Another exception is when a meal separates them; I can have a few of one or the other, eat dinner and dive into either afterwards, depending on what I'm in the mood for.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--