Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

JW Green 15yr. So glad I've a few of these bottles, as they're drying up around here.

Connoisseur

Finally removed the last dregs of my kilchoman machir bay 2012. It was a great dram, though got a bit heavy on the play doh flavors at the end.
    Eric

Virtuoso

Pour of dusty Benriach 10. Not that experienced a scotch guy, but if the current 10 yr is this smooth and sippable I'm in trouble.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Finally removed the last dregs of my kilchoman machir bay 2012. It was a great dram, though got a bit heavy on the play doh flavors at the end.
    I absolutely loved the Machir Bay I had courtesy of Bruce. And, swore to pick one up, but have not done so, as yet... BUT, with the promise of play doh to come, I MUST get busy in finding one. I love the smell of play doh!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I absolutely loved the Machir Bay I had courtesy of Bruce. And, swore to pick one up, but have not done so, as yet... BUT, with the promise of play doh to come, I MUST get busy in finding one. I love the smell of play doh!
    The 2012 is outstanding, though obviously young. I'm absolutely looking forward to the older stuff coming out.
    Eric

Connoisseur

Had some Bladnoch 22 from a Battlehill bottle. It was pretty good, but more of a summer into fall dram, I had been looking for a solid summer sipper. Guess I might have to break into that Rosebank after all.

Guru

This is something special.
    It is isn't it? Glad you enjoyed those
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    It is isn't it? Glad you enjoyed those
    Amazing, thanks again. I'll have to open my bottle, but I will be surprised if it doesn't become my all time favorite malt. Just enough peat to be in my wheelhouse, but subtle enough to be worth spending hours dissecting it. I shared a half pour of the sample with a good friend of mine, who also happens to appreciate fine whisky. He immediately declared that this was the finest dram he has ever consumed. I have to say, if I ran across another bottle at the $499 price, I would have a hard time not purchasing it.
    Eric

Guru

The 2012 is outstanding, though obviously young. I'm absolutely looking forward to the older stuff coming out.
    Just be sure to start saving your pennies now! Machir Bay is very nice and still affordable but as you note is a very young blend of malts. The vintage editions are steadily going up (a recent 5yo K&L single barrel cost $110!) and I can only imaging what it will cost when they have whisky starting to reach the 10 year mark. It shouldn't be much longer. They started in about 2005 so the 2015/16 time frame might be possible I should think.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Just be sure to start saving your pennies now! Machir Bay is very nice and still affordable but as you note is a very young blend of malts. The vintage editions are steadily going up (a recent 5yo K&L single barrel cost $110!) and I can only imaging what it will cost when they have whisky starting to reach the 10 year mark. It shouldn't be much longer. They started in about 2005 so the 2015/16 time frame might be possible I should think.
    Yeah, I expect they'll be pretty spendy for awhile.

So I just opened the Nikka Taketsuru 17 that I purchased today. This is my first glass, but my initial impression is that this is a knockout dram. As with most Japanese whiskies, it is extremely well balanced. Initial impression is that it shares a lot of commonalities with Yoichi 15, but with a bit more balance and less peat. The nose is beautiful, with red fruits (especially maraschino cherries) and some oak spice, and a hint of smoky peat. The taste is like a more heavily sherried Yoichi 15 with typical oak and peat notes, and the sherry is of the beautiful red fruit variety that I love. Mouthfeel is middling, not excessively thin or oily. The finish is long on spicy oak and mild, smoky peat. I apologize for the lack of weird descriptors in my review, but I tend to think of things in terms of similar experiences, so you get what you get. This "pure malt" blend speaks to Nikka's policy of spending money for good quality casks, and is a really well balanced dram. If you're a fan of Highland Park or Nikka's Yoichi/Miyagikyo offerings, I think you'll enjoy the hell out of this. I could see others docking it points for the engineered characteristic Japanese whiskies are known for, but I think it's beautiful.
    Eric