Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

On my second Glencairn of Springbank 12 Cask Strength (50.3%), EXCELLENT stuff!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Nut View Post
    On my second Glencairn of Springbank 12 Cask Strength (50.3%), EXCELLENT stuff!
    I missed out on getting a bottle of that for a good price in Texas. I just saw another one at a local store but they wanted over $140 after tax for it... waaaaay too much.

As for me, I'm enjoying some Compass Box Great King Street while in my hotel room. I found a 375 at a local store here for $22 and figured why not.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I missed out on getting a bottle of that for a good price in Texas. I just saw another one at a local store but they wanted over $140 after tax for it... waaaaay too much.

As for me, I'm enjoying some Compass Box Great King Street while in my hotel room. I found a 375 at a local store here for $22 and figured why not.
    FWIW, Louisville KY and outlying counties are pretty good Springbank hunting territory. For whatever reason, I've seen releases from the Springbank Distillery around there that have been gone for years, or that I wasn't even sure got imported (rundlets and kilderkins, for example). I realize you don't live anywhere close to there, but if you're ever in the area, it might be worth your time to take a day or two vacation from bourbon to look for your most wanted list of malts.
    Eric

Connoisseur

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

Cracked a couple bottles open to celebrate another year above ground. An 18yr Glenturret, non-chill filtered, cask strength, charged from a refill hogshead, sherry monster bottled exclusively by Julio's Loch & Key Society, one of 235 bottles. And an 11yr Glendronach, single cask, cask strength, Highland Single Malt matured entirely in Oloroso Sherry Puncheon cask bottled exclusively by Vine & Table.

That Glenturret is just ridiculous. So thick and molasses-y it coats the palate for damn near an eternity. I couldnt believe how long I could sit there and chew on it. Damn good malt!

And the Glendronach was no slouch my friends! Lots of dried fruit and raisins. Winston is going to think I'm insane, but I SWEAR there is some Balcones Brimstone in there. What I mean by that is.....whatever chemical gives Brimstone that scrub oaky/mesquite flavor, is detectable in a small amount in the Glendronach. It was kind of mind blowing to me.

Cheers y'all!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    FWIW, Louisville KY and outlying counties are pretty good Springbank hunting territory. For whatever reason, I've seen releases from the Springbank Distillery around there that have been gone for years, or that I wasn't even sure got imported (rundlets and kilderkins, for example). I realize you don't live anywhere close to there, but if you're ever in the area, it might be worth your time to take a day or two vacation from bourbon to look for your most wanted list of malts.
    Interesting information, I just may be back in the northern KY area later this year and will have to look for it. I know that Binnys has some great springbanks but I'm not likely to be anywhere near there this year so KY might be my chance.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post

The Springbank Cask Strength is around $75 in the Minneapolis, MN area. Also there is a liquor store by my house that has a few single cask Springbanks and Longrows, but they are $89-109. I bought a Springbank CV from the same store, and it is good, but the Cask Strength has more depth and flavor, also it takes water better.

Enthusiast

Macallan 15 year old Darkness. Straight up honey bomb. Winnie the Pooh would get wasted on this.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Nut View Post
    The Springbank Cask Strength is around $75 in the Minneapolis, MN area. Also there is a liquor store by my house that has a few single cask Springbanks and Longrows, but they are $89-109. I bought a Springbank CV from the same store, and it is good, but the Cask Strength has more depth and flavor, also it takes water better.
    I am very jealous of your prices there, Springbank 12 CS would be my go to gift and general malt dram if I could get it for that around here. As it is I'm looking at having to order from Binnys when I happen to be traveling to a state that they will ship to.

Enthusiast

Was a cold day in August so popped a Laphroag 10 CS Red Stripe, 57.3. Man that is some good stuff. Really better than the latest batches.
    Justin

Enthusiast

Had a sample of Aberlour 15 year old Darkness! Yuck.

Now drinking some Clynelish 14. This is my new jam.