Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Thx for the notes - I prefer drinking barrel proof/cask strength whiskies out of a snifter myself
    One of the things I like best about having an entire bottle to work with as opposed to a drink at a bar is the process of figuring out which glass the whisky tastes best out of. It's hard work, but someone's got to do it.

The ECBP I started with tonight hit the spot, so I decided to move onto the only other thing I have open right now that can match it for pure sugary goodness: Glendronach 15. Older sherried whiskies occasionally bother me with some vinegary notes, but this one is pretty clean. Mostly fresh and dried red fruits. Finish is a bit smoky, with chocolate and cherries. And I'm drinking it out of a tumbler. Cuz, Murrca.

In other news, I think I have talked my local bottle shop into carrying the Kavalan Solist lineup once the state government decides it's okay to sell it out here. Maryland has just gotten Concertmaster and King Car in the last month or two, so hopefully Solist is not far off . . .
    Eric

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    One of the things I like best about having an entire bottle to work with as opposed to a drink at a bar is the process of figuring out which glass the whisky tastes best out of. It's hard work, but someone's got to do it.

The ECBP I started with tonight hit the spot, so I decided to move onto the only other thing I have open right now that can match it for pure sugary goodness: Glendronach 15. Older sherried whiskies occasionally bother me with some vinegary notes, but this one is pretty clean. Mostly fresh and dried red fruits. Finish is a bit smoky, with chocolate and cherries. And I'm drinking it out of a tumbler. Cuz, Murrca.

In other news, I think I have talked my local bottle shop into carrying the Kavalan Solist lineup once the state government decides it's okay to sell it out here. Maryland has just gotten Concertmaster and King Car in the last month or two, so hopefully Solist is not far off . . .
    Need to see your glassware collection too then

Some good summer pours there - sugah bombs fo sho!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Had some Balvenie DW 17 tonight. It was very good, but I'm not sure it's worth the price over the 12. Then I hit a lot of old Wild Turkey...that never fails.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I was drawn in by the attractive bottle and it's reputation, but I just tossed that bottle in the trash after it's last pour and am left feeling the Hibiki 12 yr never measured up to either. A lot of coin for a mediocre whiskey. Can't say I "enjoyed" much of it.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I was drawn in by the attractive bottle and it's reputation, but I just tossed that bottle in the trash after it's last pour and am left feeling the Hibiki 12 yr never measured up to either. A lot of coin for a mediocre whiskey. Can't say I "enjoyed" much of it.
    Japanese blended whiky, as opposed to blended malts which can be better, seem to try to be too balanced if that is possible (and formulated to be served as a highball) and thus fail to really satisfy on their own to me.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Japanese blended whiky, as opposed to blended malts which can be better, seem to try to be too balanced if that is possible (and formulated to be served as a highball) and thus fail to really satisfy on their own to me.
    That's a shame. I'd heard good things about Hibiki 12 and wanted to try it to see what the plum cask finishing was like, but maybe I'll wait and try it in a bar or something.

Last night my friend and I did a side by side tasting of Glendronach 12 and 15. Both were bottled within a year of one another, and the 12 was from July 2013, so it can't have had any "new" glendronach in it. The 12 actually came out on top for both of us, though for different reasons. My friend felt it was more complex, whereas the Glendronach 15 was more approachable. I definitely felt the opposite, with the 15 having more classic "older" sherried whisky notes (dried fruits, a bit of wood smoke, molasses, some mushroomy earthiness, etc). It was much more complex, and the more time it spent in the glass, the more it opened up. I ended up liking the glendronach 12 better last night because I was in the mood for a fresh young sherry bomb, and this fit the bill nicely. Lots of strawberries, cherries, a little chocolate. In the end, I think my preference between the two will vary based on what I'm in the mood for, as they exhibit very classic young and old sherry profiles.

After that, we compared Aberlour A'bunadh (Batch 47) to Glendronach 12. Friend though the 12 won, I called it a tie. Mostly I was heartened to see that in spite of rumblings of batch 47 sucking, I enjoyed it about as much as every other batch I've had. I didn't notice any sulfur or vinegar, or really much of anything offputting at all. Seemed like same ol' tasty A'bunadh to me. I can literally feel all my cool guy connoisseur points draining out of me as I type this.

At that point, a few other whisky fans had shown up, so I offered up my bottle of Ardbeg Auriverdes for any takers. A few of us ended up having a dram or two of it, and the general consensus was that it was a nice peated whisky with some vanilla and chocolate/coffee notes somewhere way in the back of the development and finish, but overall it wasn't anything any of us needed to stockpile.

Good night overall. I'll probably put away a bottle or two of Glendronach 12 at some point. I really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 08-31-2014 at 08:29.
    Eric

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Dabbled in some Crown XO AND Crown Limited Edition tonight, at a buddy's house. Really surprised in how much I enjoyed them. The XO was without the overly caramelly notes of most Canadian whiskies, and drank more like a bourbon. Very nice. The LE had a distinct rye hit to it, and profiled in an MGPIish rye type vein. I absolutely loved that one. Also, enjoyed watching the Alouettes romp over the Stampeders 36-16...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Good night overall. I'll probably put away a bottle or two of Glendronach 12 at some point. I really enjoyed it.
    Are you aware of the reported age of the GD12 depending on when it was bottled? I am not sure how much difference it makes but I like the 12 on its own anyway and put a few away of the 2013 bottling just for the heck of it!

Grafiek-GlenDronach.pdf
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Are you aware of the reported age of the GD12 depending on when it was bottled? I am not sure how much difference it makes but I like the 12 on its own anyway and put a few away of the 2013 bottling just for the heck of it!

Grafiek-GlenDronach.pdf
    Yeah, I'm aware that in 2013, mathematically GD 12 had to have been 17-18 yrs old. That was actually why I made a point to list bottling date. I'd be interested in trying the new stuff though. I'm sure they'll keep blending older barrels in for a time to keep the profile consistent.
    Eric

Connoisseur

Ardbeg Auriverdes tonight. My friends beat the bottle up pretty hard, so I'm down to the last 20% or so. It has mellowed out significantly (in terms of hot spirit flavor, peatiness is still there), but the young flavors are absolutely present. I'm pretty comfortable calling it a C factoring in cost. Ignoring cost, I'd call it a B-.
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 09-05-2014 at 16:55.
    Eric