Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: The General and New GBS Member, John Glaser

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Nor I.

I could always check again since I may have acquired a bottle that somebody else changed their mind on...
    I would hate to burden you with needing to take another taste........but if you must!
    This sounds like a pretty wonderful whiskey. Is it worth the $300 or so it sells for? I ask honestly - I do not know the ways of the Scotch world.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Nor I.

I could always check again since I may have acquired a bottle that somebody else changed their mind on...
    Matt got ya huh? Greens had mine waiting for me today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I'm closing in on trading for a bottle, sounds like it's worth it just to try something different.

I'm very jealous of the time you guys had there, nothing like talking shop with an expert!
    It's not the dram you're looking for... Who were you trading with again?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by flahute View Post
    I would hate to burden you with needing to take another taste........but if you must!
    This sounds like a pretty wonderful whiskey. Is it worth the $300 or so it sells for? I ask honestly - I do not know the ways of the Scotch world.
    The reality in the scotch world is the age and rarity are increasing expensive at least for now and probably the foreseeable future. QPR is always a pretty relative thing. There is in reality probably very little that is truly worth $300 to me much less the astronomical prices of some of the bottles sought by the flipper scumarrati, both in the secondary market and increasingly in the retail market as well. Not that it has stopped me from buying a few now and again. If I lined up 9 bottles under $100 plus The General and did a blind tasting I am not sure I would pick this bottle as the "best" each time (if at all!). I know I bought some of the hype and rarity/exclusivity as well but I am OK with that. And having met John Glaser and seeing he is a really nice guy who seems open and honest about what he is doing probably didn't hurt.

One thing is for sure, I plan to open it, drink it and share it with like minded friends. That is worth the $300 for me.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 03-29-2014 at 12:36.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

I was able to meet John Glaser at ESS this past Wednesday. It was a pleasure to meet him. I liked the fact that it was a casual experience and was surprised when he introduced himself to my friend and I. The fact that I was able to try The General made the night even better. Not sure if mentioning I had bought a bottle helped or not but I was glad that I had a chance to try it.

I have not opened my bottle yet but when I do I know I will definitely enjoy it. I have a couple of high end bottles that I have yet to open but I do plan on opening them at some point in time. Why else buy them then? When I do open them I plan on sharing them with family and friends. I'm all about introducing the "brown juice" as my friend would say to as many people as I can!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I also don't recall any peat, but that finish . . . holy @#$% that has the longest finish I've ever experienced (although I've not tasted a lot of really old whisky).
    No detection of peat here, either. That finish was indeed, superb. But, my favorite part may have been the "finish", of the finish.. I nosed my emptied glass for another 10 minutes, taking in the scents. Gorgeous, was the calvacade of aromas that bloomed from it.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Very well done gents!! Sounds like a great evening with a great group.