Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Where / What to buy in Houston, or along drive to / from Austin?

Making an overnight trip to Houston. Any recommendations on where to look around the Museum District or a few miles in any direction. Will be driving from Austin, so anywhere along the way to / from. I suspect this is nationwide, but it is difficult to find anything unique at all in Austin. Hoping to find something new. $50 range is fine, $100 for the right bottle but prefer to spend $30 or find other treasures for less.
    My taste? I drink it over an ice cube.

What's in my liquor cabinet?

Makers because it was at Costco and my current "bulk bottle", prefer bulk Knob Creek
    Blanton's
    Balcones True Blue #13-4 (gifted and appreciated)
    Weller 12 year, not bad. (I use "not bad" as a positive term)
    Wild Turkey 101, don't like it.

Recently emptied bottles:
    Booker's
    Rendezvous Rye , I know it is probably their local stuff blended with old Bullet, but loved it.
    Templeton Rye, not bad
    Belle Meade - not bad, but there was no finish which made it bland
    Bulleit Rye

others in circulation which I can currently find:
    Willet Rye Single Barrel - some are good, but luck of the barrel.
    Knob Creek variations
    Four Roses Single Barrel - not for some time actually

On the fence about buying a bottle of Garrison Brothers at $75, not impressed with any other Texas Whiskey other than Balcones special release products which are equally expensive and more difficult to find.

Probably not going to be buying :
    Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek (maybe it has higher acid / alcohols than I prefer).
    I don't remember my impression of Baker's, but obviously that meant it didn't blow me away or make me regret the purchase.
    Hersch products unless someone points one out that is worth the money, not discussing A.H. Hirsch or chasing unicorns.
    Don't think I will be buying:
    Bulleit Bourbon
    Regular Jim, Jack,

Have been looking for Elmer T Lee single barrel since last summer. I suspect it is not available in Texas. Of course there is a lot of other stuff I want to buy, but can't find. Can't find and won't pay current market value for Thamas Handy but damn do I ever love that stuff!
    WTB Pappy Rye and stuff that if you knew where to buy it you sure as hell wouldn't tell a stranger!

Curious about Colonel Taylor Rye and Bourbon, and have them available to me in Austin.

Thanks for any input, oops, late for the road trip!

Enthusiast

Re: Where / What to buy in Houston, or along drive to / from Austin?

You might be able to pick up some Balcones products in that area. Some Rumble, or maybe a stray bottle of Single Malt.
    ETL was once plentiful in TX, but seems to have dried up, at least until the new release, which will likely fly off shelves.
    You can probably find Weller 12 or Old Antique fairly easily.
    Booker's 25th should be available around there as well.
    Personally, I'd skip the Garrison Bros and reconsider the Bulleit.
    (And if you come across any Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, pick one up for me )
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by kjbeggs View Post
    (And if you come across any Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, pick one up for me )
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    As far as the Balcones, it is their small release stuff I hunt for. I'm not going to find any, but their Bourbon has a very different barrel flavor. Not sure of the price, but would pay same as Garrison Bros. Don't expect to find any, but once didn't pick up a Rumble Cask Reserve and regret not making the purchase. Most other small release stuff seems to go to restaurants, not sure how the distributors work that out.
    Last edited by Infidel; 03-28-2014 at 06:06.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I've hit ever store along Houston - Austin route, not matter which route you take and you will not find any dusties (well maybe bottles like age stated VOB that have become recent dusties). The selection in Houston is going to be very much like Austin; actually I would say Houston stores are hit harder than most these days. Example - Bookers 25th vanished immediately or was held for best customers and never put on shelf. In other cities, I've been told plenty available. I have not seen any Elmer T Lee in a while.

If you just want to go to a bar and have a drink, Hotel ZaZa is right in museum district and they have a good selection of bourbon. Not too far away is Poison Girl, a dive but the best American Whiskey selection in the state.

Guru

Wade is right. Houston has been picked clean of anything dusty or any popular mid-shelfers. This is just for the standard release stuff. The last time I saw any ETL was around October or November. Forget about anything that is limited.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Apprentice

I found Booker's 25 th, south of Katy. Bought one but may have to sell it, depending on wife. Worried she might drink it while I'm away on next Houston trip
    not the dusty treasure, most I've paid for a bottle by a long shot.

No idea if it is worth $98, two more behind the glass. Message if need to know location. Hope that is not poor bourbon board etiquette

Disciple

Although I really don't enjoy Bookers I would have bought at that price. My whiskey wants $200, yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can find the occasional gem at the Spec's in midtown; they had a case of Jefferson 25 as recent as a month ago. Goody Goody's on highway 6 and Richmond (bit out of your range, but maybe "on the way") had a ton of Stagg Jr for a long time (I bought two cases), and has been rumored to hold back some GTS. Finally, you can find the occasional dusty at the liquor store on Yale just south of I10, across from Walmart. I found a bottle of Jefferson 21 there once.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk