Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Greetings from Australia

Hello everyone. Iíve lurked around these forums for a while and figured it was time to join up! I will appreciate and enjoy a well-made spirit whether itís bourbon, rye whisky, Scotch whisky or rum; generally there is a time or a mood ideal for each of them.

Living in Australia, for bourbon and rye the selection isnít as good as in the US and the prices are comparatively ridiculous but I tend to buy a different bottle every time and ever so slowly Iím beginning to recognize the differences (sometimes subtle, sometimes not).

In my younger days, everyone seemed to drink JD or Red Label, both awful I thought but truthfully it was all drowned in Coke so it didnít matter. It wasnít until I sipped some MM neat, and Glenlivet 12 with Scotch, that I realised there was a lot more to it all. Moved on a bit since then and realise that just because something isnít ďsmoothĒ doesnít mean it isnít good (nothing wrong with MM or Glenlivet 12 though). I have to say, I still find Red Label to be terrible stuff but I had some JD a little while back and it was better than I remember. Iíve had a lot more Scotch whisky than rum, but I aim to redress this imbalance. Oh and I think this may be a little different to most on the forum but I only tend to keep a few bottles open at a time Ö

Learnt a lot from SB already, and that will continue Iím sure!

Guru

Re: Greetings from Australia

Welcome aboard holdtheice, we have a reserved area for our Down Under brethren.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

It's great to have another Aussie on board... Welcome!

Connoisseur

Welcome to the conversation, holdtheice! Glad to have you on 'the board'.
    I usually have quite a few open; but only because I'm always ready to try something new, even while I already have waaaaay too many awaiting the final draining. But, hey; being somewhat "short-on-attention-span" isn't necessarily always a bad thing.
    I kinda envy folks who have the focus to keep at a task 'til it's done.

Apprentice

Sorry I didn't thank you for the welcoming earlier folks. I'm really enjoying my time on SB so far, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience to tap into and everyone seems to play their part in adding to the "good vibes"