Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Buffalo Trace Availability -- National roll out?

Ed, thanks for your clarification. You are right that they can sell all that they make. And you certainly are right about the bone-headed liquor laws of different states.

No offense taken by me, that's for sure. My point is if I can sell all I can bottle within a select region of the country or world, then it makes it really hard to distribute more elsewhere. I frankly think they are doing their best. For example Coors banquet beer actually had more of a cult following when it was only available in Rocky Mountain states. As a marketer I've had to make these types of decisions and they are not easy to make.

Bottom line, I hope you can find your bottle of Stagg. And welcome aboard!

Greg

Connoisseur

By the way, when I visited BT in Frankfort, they
    (Freddie, I think?) said that BT would eventually
    be rolled out nationally. Any inside update on this?

Here's the official reply from BT:
    Buffalo Trace is available in KY, IN, and TN. Given our current level of success, and shortage of bourbon, general widespread availability is still some years away. Our plan is to slowly roll the brand out into markets where we can maintain controlled growth and achieve grassroots support.

We have been recommending that some people contact some web sites for Buffalo Trace, where legal. You can pass along www.spirits@samswine.com or joec@binnys.com. These are large Chicago retailers who have a huge internet business.

Apprentice

Thanks for the info, Greg.

The approach makes sense, even though its a little disappointing for those of us in states like MA. Since BT will be the namesake brand, it needs to be done right. We would hate to see the price get pushed up by overly thin distribution -- it would be hard to drop again once supply increased without undermining 'luxury' brand status.

Having a successful brand in undersupply is a double-edged sword.

-AJ

Advanced Taster

Greg, thanks for the reply. Everything you say is right: I can't argue the logic of the small distribution region. And I deliberately didn't bring up the Coors distribution matter because it undercut my fully revved up rant in progress It is just frustrating to be reading all these rave reviews and knowing many of us are scre*ed out of joining in on the experience.

I checked the BT web site again and found that my in-laws live in a city that is in the BT distribution region. No chance AT ALL of getting them to try to get a bottle of Stagg (and no way of knowing if their city gets any anyway), but I will be there next June, so if a hardy bottle can survive (please God) the next 8 MONTHS, I might be able to get one that way. Not holding my breath, though.

If not, I am going to try to set up a Stagg-post filter, so I can stop being tormented by the "I got mine REAL cheap, it's astoundingly fabulous, and I'm going back for MANY more" posts.

Sincere congrats to all who get Stagg, you LUCKY few! Ed

Advanced Taster

Anyone found any Stagg in NE Ohio??? have cash, will travel....go to Ky if necessary but a 4 hr drive....

Novice

TNbourban and One Cube Only: Thanks for the feedback and link. I think I now understand more of the marketing discussion here and a comment I read here somewhere thanking Elmer T. Lee for Buffalo Trace. I am surprised that the BT web site did not mention the other bourbons. Ah, marketing? I also now have a line of bourbons to buy and taste. This is fun!

Connoisseur

Hey, Prof. Send me a private message or e-mail and I might be able to help you out. Greg

Disciple

Nah man, I havent seen any of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection in Ohio. Although I have not found it listed online, there is a state wholsale price list, and I am sure you could talk to your local State Store to see it. From what I have been told if it aint on the list, you aint getting it. I also know it is updated monthly in an Ohio liquor trade publication (saw one laying around in the back room of the store I work for).

TomC

Disciple

Hey I got a plan for you so you will feel better about this whole Stagg thing. Its simple. Go out and buy a bottle of Kentucky Spirit (available in MA, at least in Lowell when I visited in June) or Eagle Rare 17 year (Bargian priced at around $35 in Nashua, NH), then go home and enjoy a pair of whiskies that are BETTER than Stagg!

It'll do your body good!

Welcome To Bourbonia
    Tom (Displaced MA native) C

Advanced Taster

Tom, sounds like very good advice, but I'd still like to do the head-to-head-to-head comparison myself. I don't know of anyone whose tastes exactly match mine, so I'd like to know if I'm missing something seriously amazing. And, of course, it is puzzling that Eagle Rare 17 seems to excite little spontaneous reaction, unless people are brought around to thinking about it, in which case it gets high marks and people say they love it. But Stagg sucks all the air out of the room, the moment its name is whispered. What accounts for this wild difference? Just the rocket fuel proof of Stagg? I dunno, but thanks for the advice. Ed