Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Novice

Re: Hi from Nashville!! And newbie question...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions. I'm not stuck on rye at all. Someone had just mentioned it and like I've mentioned I've been wanting to learn to appreciate whiskey more so I was near a local liquor store when the through hit me, I stopped in and grabbed it. Most of my whiskey drinking has been done as a means to an end if you know what I mean. I'd prefer to use beer for that these days and learn more about whiskey as something to be appreciated. Plus I hate being liquor drunk anymore it makes me, what I call, time travel...and I don't like that!

Connoisseur

Re: Hi from Nashville!! And newbie question...

Welcome to the forums, Wes! Here's a suggestion:
    Try a lower shelf Bourbon, say Evan Williams Black label (available most anywhere, and a good representative of Bourbon) in a glass next to the Old Overholt rye. Sniff one, allowing a bit of air in through your mouth as well as your nose. Do the same with the other one.
    Take a sip of one, let it slowly slide around in your mouth for a half-minute or so, then swallow. Wait a couple minutes and take a few small sips of water to cleanse your palate (& you can eat a cracker, if you like). Do the same with the other one. Now, you have a decent idea of the differences and similarities between Rye and Bourbon.
    You can do the same sort of thing with any two bottles you wish to compare. You can mix each with water, ice, soda or whatever makes you happy, after doing the tasting. Just a suggestion.