Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: In-Law Whisky

Guru

Re: In-Law Whisky

What no one has asked is why I have cheap hooch on hand anyway. I don't but would buy some for the in-laws because they're worth every penny.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

My question would be why Don't you have cheap hooch on hand?

Guru

Because they drank it up on their last visit.

Enthusiast

I had another thought (thanks to some posts over on the latest MadVatter thread). If the in-laws are staying at least a week, put them to good use. Before they arrive, survey your collection of clunker bottles & almost empty mid-shelfers and all those liqueurs and aperitfs that you thought you'd use when you bought them, like Midori, St. Germain (which I do like), butterscotch schnapps and Goldwasser (the cinnamon flavored stuff) which you bought to make "Oatmeal Cookie" cocktails, Dubonnet, limoncello your wife made (which is back in its Everclear bottle), blue Curacao, etc. ALSO, go to Wegmans or Publix or someplace selling Hansens sodas or Vernors or those quasi-European sodas like grapefruit soda, blood orange, Sicilian lemon etc., most of which have slightly lower sugar contents and get a selection.

THEN, peruse the internet and the cocktail thread on SB for 6 or so cocktails using this stuff. Make up 750 ml batches and put each in its own bottle. Label them and include the date they'll be featured(to build anticipation) and put them on the counter or bar. ("Shrub" punches need to be aged cold so I suggest only mixes, like Glugg, that can be prominently displayed on the bar area. Why? Well, . . .)

When they get settled, tell them that, in lieu of "ordinary drinks," you are having a different Happy Hour cocktail each day and would REALLY like their opinions. Of course, you can show/give them a recipe card on which you have written the "ideal" list of ingredients. For example, if you used up your Seagrams 7 left over from college or a 1990s poker game, you could write "Knob Creek" which also is an American whiskey. Since the labeled cocktail bottles are filling barspace recently occupied by your top shelf stuff which just HAD to be put away to make room for these special Happy Hour treats, you can sleep soundly.

In addition to using up stuff you otherwise might have forever, you might actually find a cocktail or two you like. BTW, grapefruit soda plus some Regans Bitters make EVERYTHING taste better. Just saying.
    Last edited by Harry in WashDC; 03-30-2014 at 10:50.

Guru

Hmm, that idea definitely has merit, just the sort of covert thing one would expect from a resident of DC.

Disciple

Well thought out but my in-laws and ex in-laws just aren't worth the effort. A couple bottles of Southern Comfort that they can take with them when they leave would be my max effort.

Enthusiast

I keep relatively cheap scotch and bourbon upstairs with the rest of the non-whisk(e)y alcohol. That's typically what visitors drink. Guests are welcome to whatever I've got open downstairs, or occasionally I'll open a bottle if I get a special request.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

MY in-laws make it easy for me. They only drink Canadian Club, won't touch my bourbon or scotch if I put a gun to their head. I keep a bottle of CC in the freezer (their preference) for visits.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by steeltownbbq View Post
    MY in-laws make it easy for me. They only drink Canadian Club, won't touch my bourbon or scotch if I put a gun to their head. I keep a bottle of CC in the freezer (their preference) for visits.

That is just great. I'd love to have in-laws to drink with that were that cheap.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Advanced Taster

I watched in horror at Christmas when my cousin made himself a whiskey and coke with my Four Roses Limited Edition 2013. The Maker's was sitting right there and he just grabbed the FR and poured. I shot across the room but it was too late. My dad saw it too and looked at me, he knew I had saved that bottle for a special occasion. Then I thought about all crap my cousin has been through in the last 15 years and gained some perspective. Lets just say he did a bit in the state pen.. I hope that one whiskey and coke made his Christmas a little more enjoyable.