Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: General consensus "best" bourbons?

This was a tough question until Four Roses 125th came out. Now it's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

I get what you're asking. To me, the best bourbons when factoring in price, quality, and general availability are the Four Roses private selection, barrel strength single barrels. Unique recipes and a $55-$60 price point? Yes, please. Even if you can't find them all locally they're easy to come by online. Organize a group purchase and split the bottles. Very drinkable barrel proof so no water is needed.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I hate this question so much. It's contrary to all the values of the whiskey enthusiasm. Also, 'general consensus' is redundant. 'Consensus' means 'general agreement' so you're saying "general general agreement." Please please don't don't do do that that.

Connoisseur

I don't not like double negatives.
    Tyler

Connoisseur

Unquestionably Old Blowhard and Barterhouse. Diageo told me so!

The annual releases I look for are GTS, ER17, WLW, the Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel LEs . . . and I guess that's about it. Depending on critic and peer input, I will look for PHC and OFBB releases. I think everyone should try 20+ year old bourbon at least once. That's probably something your friend could accomplish at a bar, though.
    Eric

Guru

I believe it's the nature of a whisky enthusiast to want to try them all once. I actually need to buy a bottle rather than a drink at a bar because I want to evaluate the whisky over time, but I realize that's not practical for most with today's prices.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I believe it's the nature of a whisky enthusiast to want to try them all once. I actually need to buy a bottle rather than a drink at a bar because I want to evaluate the whisky over time, but I realize that's not practical for most with today's prices.
    This is true for me and is why I dove in fully when I first started. As a result, I have some high price bottles that I really love, and some that I regret. But, I am glad to have tried them, and in a couple cases, actually changed my mind quite a bit on a couple which means I might have written them off with only one pour at a bar. Still, as I find more bottom and mid shelfers that I like, I'm becoming less interested $200+ Jefferson ultra aged options out there.

Guru

When I say try them all once I mean all the different styles or Limited Edition expressions. I don't mean every label because I exclude NDPs because none of those things are worth more than an Limited Edition personally selected by Jim Rutledge. For that matter I won't buy any whisky unless I know who made it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    When I say try them all once I mean all the different styles or Limited Edition expressions. I don't mean every label because I exclude NDPs because none of those things are worth more than an Limited Edition personally selected by Jim Rutledge. For that matter I won't buy any whisky unless I know who made it.
    I knew what you meant, but didn't convey that properly. I wasn't as discriminating at first, but have gotten there quickly which is why I walk past the Jefferson products (and others like them) at this point.
    I'm also a little late in getting to the Four Roses family but am finding myself more and more impressed the more I try. (And there's a lot to try!)

Guru

Four Roses certainly has some interesting things cooking, I hope that Rutledge heritage remains after he retires.