Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Tito's lawsuit

http://www.bevlaw.com/bevlog/vodka/t...s-not-approval

copy of actual case - http://www.craftbev.org/docs/tito.pdf

If the TTB will not properly enforce the law, it looks lawyers are more than willing to take action.

Connoisseur

Re: Tito's lawsuit

For once, happy to see lawyers get involved.

The Tito's Lawsuit: When Approval is Not Approval

Source: BevLaw
    Robert C. Lehrman
    September 20th, 2014

Tito's vodka was doing great for the past 15 years, then hit a gigantic speedbump this week in the form of a class action lawsuit.

Tito's therefore provides a good example of when an approval is not really an approval. Tito Beveridge has more than 30 TTB label approvals for his vodka from 1997 to 2013 (as in the above image, from LabelVision). They may not do him much good in this lawsuit, even though, in years past, most would assume the federal approval would be dispositive. It's a good thing most TTB approvals are not paper anymore because these would "not be worth the paper they are printed on."

http://www.bevlaw.com/bevlog/wp-cont.../2014/09/t.png

(Entirety of blog post removed - Scott)

See more at: http://www.bevlaw.com/bevlog/vodka/t....biWPrNK9.dpuf
    Last edited by callmeox; 09-22-2014 at 09:54. Reason: Please do not copy entire works of others to threads - excerpt and link is appropriate

Re: Finally a lawsuit based on false labeling claims. Tito's Vodka

GNS GNS GNS. There is a good chance that all middle to low shelf vodka wasn't "handmade" nor was it originally distilled at the place claimed on the bottle.

Virtuoso

I hope this suit puts those charlatans out of business. When did it become OK for producers of the food and spirit we consume to lie about what they are selling?

Virtuoso

This is great news. Here's hoping this suit gets some traction. At the very least it should cost this charlatans at Tito's a boatload of cash to defend. Why do producers in the food a spirits industry think it's OK to lie and obfuscate about what is in the product we are drinking and eating? Consumers should expect an accurate description of contents and manufacturing procedure.

Trippah and Admin

Two Tito's threads merged.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Good point Steve, it really is about truth in labeling and consumer protection. If these guys were selling ground beef or breakfast cereal the Feds would've cracked down long before now.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

As to your point Eric I believe virtually all the cheap vodka/gin labels on the market are sourced GNS. Heaven Hill and the other majors can buy it from MGP cheaper than make it themselves. Of course the NDPs use it, that's the smart move.

Did Tito ever make vodka from those cobbled together beer kegs? I mean you can distill a low proof liquor in just about any old sealed pot but to reach the legal requirement for vodka (190 proof) even with multiple passes a pot still without a rectifying column won't do it. So if that's the equipment he claims to have started with Tito's kegs are props and his story is bogus.
    Last edited by squire; 09-22-2014 at 11:12.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Tito's does not give public tours and has not for a long time. They say their insurance company will not allow it (yeah right). But they did early on when they started and I went on it. This was back in the early 2000's and even then I saw no fermentation tanks.