Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Limoncello Forum

Make a Tequila Mockingbird II!

2 ounces Reposado tequila
    1 ounce limoncello
    1 ounce lemon juice
    1/2 ounce simple syrup
    2 dashes Angostura bitters
    1 twist of lemon

Combine all liquid ingredients in a shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon.

Tends toward the sweet side but an amusing way to use up limoncello until summer time. You may prefer less (or no) simple syrup, especially if the limoncello is already on the sweet side.

Another favorite limoncello recipe but this is more of a summer cocktail:

My Favorite Mechanic is a Woman
    1 bourbon
    1 limoncello
    1 lemon juice
    1 Canton ginger
    1 egg white

Dry shake then shake with ice and strain into Collins glass over fresh ice. Cherry garnish.

Hmm, not quite summer time but maybe a drink for the sampler?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I usually mix an ounce or so with a cup of lemonade and ice, and sip it on the porch in the summer. Would probably work well in ice tea too.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

Thx B for the ideas!

YB: seems that would be a perfect way to net a sauced up Arnold Palmer
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

For those who have made their own, 1. How long did you steep the peels? And 2. How much simple syrup would you recommend if made with a 750 of 100 proof? Im not a huge sweet fan, and it sounds like you all arent either. Im trying this with key lime peels. I just harvested over 150 and was looking for something to do with them.
    “I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.”

Virtuoso

I steep the lemon peels for 40 days with the alcohol - add the simple syrup and steep for another 40 days - so 80 days total.

I use about 2/3rds of the simple syrup that is usually called for. I'll do 85/15 lemon/blood orange (if I can find them).
    Mark

Connoisseur

Had this in Italy when My Bride and I made the trip in the early Summer this year ('14). The Very Best I had over there was made 'craft-style' at a farm we visited in the Sorrento area, and was un-labeled and sold for about half of what I saw it for later in the trip. I shoulda grabbed a few then, but had no clue so passed it up. That one was semi-tart, and was much more 'lemony' than the sweet stuff we were served later in the trip. I'll regret that for a long time, I guess.

Advanced Taster

I brought some home from Italy when my wife and I went there in '12. I keep it in the freezer but find that I never drink it. It does make a nice after dinner drink in place of dessert. Will have to try those drinks that Bruce suggested - especially the first one. Not too keen on egg in my drinks!
    Drank a lot of whiskey
    It gives me such a glow
    It makes me quite immobile
    But it lets my feelin' show

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Renegator View Post
    I brought some home from Italy when my wife and I went there in '12. I keep it in the freezer but find that I never drink it. It does make a nice after dinner drink in place of dessert. Will have to try those drinks that Bruce suggested - especially the first one. Not too keen on egg in my drinks!
    Pasteurized egg white works well for those who are a bit squeamish about raw egg in their drink. Never really bothered me but it does keep you from having a bunch of leftover egg yolks after a party! The effect of an egg white is hard to duplicate in a drink and I do think the second drink is well worth it.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Had this in Italy when My Bride and I made the trip in the early Summer this year ('14). The Very Best I had over there was made 'craft-style' at a farm we visited in the Sorrento area, and was un-labeled and sold for about half of what I saw it for later in the trip. I shoulda grabbed a few then, but had no clue so passed it up. That one was semi-tart, and was much more 'lemony' than the sweet stuff we were served later in the trip. I'll regret that for a long time, I guess.
    Hi Rich, it was exactly this kind of experience that motivated me to try to make my own. I found the store bought stuff too sweet compared to what my relatives were drinking over there. The homemade stuff was definitely more concentrated with the essence of the fruit, and less sweet. As a generalization, I've found my grandmother's and aunt's desserts followed this model - less "sugar" sweetness, more fruit or honey in the desserts.

The key was really avoiding the pith when peeling, and going for the 80 day soak - patience! Just put it in a cabinet somewhere and forget about it for awhile ...
    Mark