Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

dry tests / whiskey left out

this is more of a drying question than a burning question.
    haven't considered burn tests..

This may seem dull of me, but has anyone done dry tests?
    Say, ..allowing a small serving to evaporate mostly or completely and then examining what's left over?

I've previously accidentally allowed some partial drams to dry out and then examined the nearly dried and completely dried remnants.

It's interesting to me to see and smell the wood components separated from the liquids.

This idea may have no merit but I was contemplating doing a series of dry tests and comparing them.

Anyone else accidentally or intentionally observed the dried out remains of a dram?

Guru

Re: dry tests / whiskey left out

I have accidentally done this - left my Glencairn in the car after a night at the gazebl, and seeing a little bit of mud at the bottom the next morning - thought maybe I should take a whiff of it. Big mistake - shot my olfactory for the most part (or at least I thought I did - maybe my allergies peaked that day and it was a big coincidence). Since then, I try to rinse out my glasses that night, and wash them the next day. Unless I'm drinking Laphroaig - then I can smell that empty glass for days and still enjoy it
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

I like the aroma of the glasses that have dried out from the night before and yes, the notes can be instructive. If it doesn't smell good the day after it drops down a few notches on my replacement list.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I too enjoy the leftover smell the next day. I have never really thought about much more than I like the smell. Perhaps Squire is onto something. I can't recall one that I didn't like. Squire so you have any specific examples of ones that "dropped a notch" in your book?

Apprentice

Howdy!

His name is Ernie Button and his work is here:
    http://erniebutton.com/?portfolio=va...glemalt-scotch

Guru

Yes, though the name brands elude me at the moment what I mostly recall is lack of balance, like a distinct hit of dry oak without the accompanying vanilla, caramel or spice. If I were to make an actual experiment out of it now I would take a whisky that tasted astringent or bitter and check it the next day to see what aromas remained and what they disclosed.

Also, some left very little trace of what had been in the glass the night before. I conducted weekly tastings for years so often had a chance to try and pick out what the aroma was telling me the next day.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Howdy!

His name is Ernie Button and his work is here:
    http://erniebutton.com/?portfolio=va...glemalt-scotch
    Mrs. Whiskeyagonzo runs an SEM. I think I'm gonna start sending dried bourbon and rye samples to work with her.

Apprentice

The smell reminds me of a rick house. I love it. My wife usually rinses my empty glass out when I go to bed. She thought I was crazy when she caught me hiding a glass one night and I told her I really liked the way it smells in the morning.

Virtuoso

The dry glass smell is part of the experience of enjoying Bourbon. A little less complex than the perfume from the night before but intriguing and almost always enjoyable.
    It would be fun to compare pours from different distilleries and see if there is a common result from house to house or if it is more function of the mash bill.

Guru

The fun starts with emptying the glasses . . . isn't science fun?