Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: dry tests / whiskey left out

Yes! It is fun

and thanks for the link/reference Zeke.

I will try using this technique as you have mentioned Squire, as another qualitative variable of bourbon.
    some very interesting smells, more pungent and lumber like or rickhouse like as mentioned above. The coloration is interesting to me also.
    if I had some science in me I'd love to analyze the compounds in some samples.

Enthusiast

Cool thread, and good to see Im not the only one that does this, I can now tell the Mrs that Im not that weird.
    My personal favourite is WTRB, I just want to put my whole head in the glass.

Virtuoso

Just remember that all the particles in your house: spores, dust, dander, insect poop etc may be influencing what you find the next day. You might wanna invest in cheesecloth :laugh:
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I too, love the smell of the empty glass of bourbon, the morning after. Interestingly though, I don't find Scotches to have the same alluring attribute as bourbon. That said, I find retasting bourbon left in the glass overnight to be an acrid, hideous, mess. However, I find Scotches to hold up well to this extended air time in the glass, and very drinkable the next day.

Strange, but true...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Smokingjoe, that makes good sense about dayold left out bourbon tasting acrid. I imagine the first things to evaporate are alcohol and water, leaving some mix of wood cogeners and maybe some left over things from the distillate.

I'll try it with a couple of scotches to see what theyre like dried.

Anyone dried any white dog?
    Does it have any remnants afterward?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I too, love the smell of the empty glass of bourbon, the morning after. Interestingly though, I don't find Scotches to have the same alluring attribute as bourbon. That said, I find retasting bourbon left in the glass overnight to be an acrid, hideous, mess. However, I find Scotches to hold up well to this extended air time in the glass, and very drinkable the next day.

Strange, but true...

Yep I have noticed this too. First and last time I tried bourbon left out this way I gagged, you could see seperation of fluid within the glass where the top layer was almost clear with the heavier compounds had settled at the bottom. Yeh I know stupid me, but what can I say, I was curious

Guru

Leaving bourbon in a glass overnight has a bad outcome.

I really enjoy the smell of an empty bourbon glass the next morning.

Last Saturday night I had an Ardbeg ANB and covered the glass with a paper cup. This morning I could still smell the peat and smoke of that wonderful pour.

This morning I tried a WLW 134.8 and covered it with a paper cup. I'll have to see how that hold up over time.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Leaving bourbon in a glass overnight has a bad outcome.

I really enjoy the smell of an empty bourbon glass the next morning.

Last Saturday night I had an Ardbeg ANB and covered the glass with a paper cup. This morning I could still smell the peat and smoke of that wonderful pour.

This morning I tried a WLW 134.8 and covered it with a paper cup. I'll have to see how that hold up over time.
    I'd love to hear how it turns out. I feel that it's all the stuff floating in your air that leaves the left out Bourbon kinda milky. In fact Rutledge told me that when he is assessing bourbons he likes to leave a minuscule amount in the glass overnight covered by a watch glass. He does this because he feels the alcohol blows off a little and the fruit expresses itself a little better.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden