Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 04/2014: Glendronach

In the latest WhiskyCast, Mark Gillespie reviews a new 15yo Tawny Port Glendronach. I"m not familiar with his preferences, but he gives it a 93 fwiw (go to 19:40 in the episode to hear the review). Has anybody seen this bottle around?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    In the latest WhiskyCast, Mark Gillespie reviews a new 15yo Tawny Port Glendronach. I"m not familiar with his preferences, but he gives it a 93 fwiw (go to 19:40 in the episode to hear the review). Has anybody seen this bottle around?
    I swear I saw one of the Glendronach 15 year finished versions when I was at a Specs in Dallas (store 150 along highway 75) but I can't remember which version it was, though tawny sounds familiar. I was so fixated on the Springbank selection that I pretty much ignored Glendronach, now I'm regretting that.

Enthusiast

I just had a sample of the Tawney Port Finish a couple weeks ago. It had Dronach bones but was missing the thick, chewy fruitiness that really makes today's Dronachs great. Definitely more malty than fruity. If push came to shove, I'd give it a mid 80s score...but I am by no means a professional taster.
    Justin

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    I just had a sample of the Tawney Port Finish a couple weeks ago. It had Dronach bones but was missing the thick, chewy fruitiness that really makes today's Dronachs great. Definitely more malty than fruity. If push came to shove, I'd give it a mid 80s score...but I am by no means a professional taster.
    I just picked up the Sauternes 14 year a little while back and I'm interested to see how it tastes. I really liked the non-sherried Aberlour that I have at CS from K&L. Sometimes a good malty pour is just what the doc ordered. I'm interested to try the non-sherried Mortlach from K&L too. It reminds me of the building blocks that the sherry bombs are built from.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Stopped into a cruddy strip mall store and saw a couple Glendronach 15's but they weren't the "revival" versions. Was there an older bottling of the 15 prior to Revival and is this something worth picking up? It was $69.99.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jvd99 View Post
    Stopped into a cruddy strip mall store and saw a couple Glendronach 15's but they weren't the "revival" versions. Was there an older bottling of the 15 prior to Revival and is this something worth picking up? It was $69.99.
    There was an older bottling. Had a quick look on Whiskybase and it seems to be pretty highly regarded. I'd say it would be worth picking up, and it would be interesting to compare to the current "revival" bottling.
    Last edited by holdtheice; 04-12-2014 at 19:48.

Connoisseur

Had some GD 12 from a flask while at Otter Falls on my hike today. It tasted mighty fine and complimented the cloudless, warm day with a view of a 1200' falls. Well, technically you can only see the last 500' or so from the bottom but who's counting

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jvd99 View Post
    The older, pre-revival (pre-Billy Walker) 15 is good, but the revival is better. It's bottled at 40% and real plum-y, but still a little light. It'll make a real good summer scotch if summer ever comes...

The pre-revival 15 is also 100% sherry and enticingly dark, but given the proof I suspect some coloring.

Either way, not a bad grab.
    Justin

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I just picked up the Sauternes 14 year a little while back and I'm interested to see how it tastes. I really liked the non-sherried Aberlour that I have at CS from K&L. Sometimes a good malty pour is just what the doc ordered. I'm interested to try the non-sherried Mortlach from K&L too. It reminds me of the building blocks that the sherry bombs are built from.
    I like this logic and share the same sentiment.

Recently tracked down a 1990 23 year old Glendronach matured in bourbon casks (Cadenhead bottling). Considering picking it up to see how the spirit fares in something other than sherry.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Whisk View Post
    I like this logic and share the same sentiment.

Recently tracked down a 1990 23 year old Glendronach matured in bourbon casks (Cadenhead bottling). Considering picking it up to see how the spirit fares in something other than sherry.
    Welcome Whisk! I need to get on the ball and drink some Glendronach this month soon... I kind of want to punt back and get a classic 12 and go from there.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof