Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Enthusiast

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 04/2014: Glendronach

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Stupid question, but what is the flavor of "malt"? I apparently need to take a nosing and tasting class because I don't really have a good appreciation for what malt tastes like vs not. Obviously I know that RB and GD taste very different, but I'm not sure what portion of that is the malt your referring to.

thanks!
    Go buy a bottle of Knappogue Castle 12. It's all malt.
    -SOB-

Guru

Balvenie Single Barrel 15 would work nicely too
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Balvenie Single Barrel 15 would work nicely too
    This is one that I will always have a bottle of it around. Such a delicious and reliable pour....for a decent price since I can get it for $60+tax locally.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    This is one that I will always have a bottle of it around. Such a delicious and reliable pour....for a decent price since I can get it for $60+tax locally.
    You're a lucky man. The recent rumor that it has been discontinued by Balvenie has spurred a rather egregious price increase in Maryland . . . Last time I saw it on the shelves it was $110, which has put it within $60 of The Balvenie 21 Portwood finish. I've got a bottle from a particularly good barrel tucked away, though.

To respond to some of the other conversation going on in this thread, I do have a few thoughts on malt and sherried whiskies:

Depending on the age and character of the malt, it can taste sort of like a petting zoo smells (more specifically, wafers they give you to feed the animals) except pleasant. It can also leave a cereal-ish, honey sort of impression. It can taste sort of like the inside stuff in malted milk balls, or the odd aftertaste that people seem to either love or hate in malted shakes. In the case of the Port Ellen maltings, specifically for Lagavulin and Caol Ila, it tastes just like a chocolate covered malt ball. I have the most difficulty picking out malt character in heavily sherried whiskies such as Glendronach or Macallan, and in some of the coastal highland offerings like Oban (hard for me to cut through the citrus and saline, though I do very much enjoy them). What malt character I can pick out seems to be in the finish. Ultimately, I don't really reach for sherried whiskies for their malt character as much as I would less sherried highland malts, and I generally find non-cask strength sherried whiskies to be a bit one-dimensional. That said, if I am reaching for a non-CS sherry bomb, chances are it'll be Mortlach or Glendronach. And I usually let them sit in the glass for a good while prior to tasting to give them a chance to open up and let some of the initial sour sherry bite in the arrival dissipate.

To circle back to the malt question, if you ever get a chance to tour a smaller craft brewery, see if they'll let you taste some of their malted barley, preferably a couple different types. Even better would be if they'd let you taste the spent stuff that they filter out of the wort. It's an educational experience, that's for sure.

Taste certainly is subjective, and one man's chocolate malted milk balls are another man's gravel and peat bog overload, so I figure my thoughts on the subject are worth just about what you guys are paying for them.
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 05-10-2014 at 00:27.
    Eric