Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Moving/Relocating Experiences Traveling with Bunker?

Has anyone experience with relocating / moving to a new place with their bourbon bunker?

Any tips or challenges encountered?

Best way to protect bottles from destruction minus ingestion/stomach protection?

I'm in the process of creating a wooden crate/box/shelf to serve as a crush proof bottle holder..

I'm starting to think my bunker will take up a decent chunk of the space in my moving vehicle....

Enthusiast

Re: Moving/Relocating Experiences Traveling with Bunker?

Raid your local whiskey monger for boxes, they always have a ton. And get some butcher paper to pad around them.

If you're worried about leaking get a big thing of saran wrap from sams/costco/etc and do a couple of layers around your cork top bottles.

Alternatively, have over everyone you know and drink all but the really special stuff, rebuild bunker at new place

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Raid your local whiskey monger for boxes ...

Yes, move it to you new place the same way it was moved to the store.

The Voshole

http://www.spiritedshipper.com/index.html

great protection for your bottles
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I think it depends. How far are you moving? Professional mover/trucking? Or, your own private rental? Back of your brothers pick-up? Give us some details! We'll help ya out.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Might do a little search here too. I know of one member that moved recently and posted about it. Not sure if he posted details about packaging and such though.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Travelling 2000 miles over land by personal truck/suv.

I will seek out more retailers empty boxes. Trying to conserve space among whiskeys.

So box em up well wrapped and hope for the best. Ill definitely post back on my success/results.

I'll even be driving through kentucky and will likely add to my bunker at distillery visitor ceneters..

Connoisseur

I just moved to my new home back in Oct 2013. As stated above, go to your local store and they will be happy to provide some boxes. I would suggest the ones that come with strong cardboard dividers in them. I only wrapped my really nice bottles in paper, the regular stuff, I relied on the card board dividers for most of my collection.

The one major piece of advice I can give you is to get some good packing tape and reinforce the bottoms of the boxes. Don't rely solely on the original tape or glue. Some packaging is better than others, but I'd hate to pick a box up only to have the bottom fall out. If you have the room, I'd avoid stacking the boxes on each other as well, but that may not be an option, luckily my move was local so I had that option to make 2 trips with the booze. If you are going to stack, I'd fill the tops up with news paper so there are no gaps that could get squished on your boxes.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    I just moved to my new home back in Oct 2013. As stated above, go to your local store and they will be happy to provide some boxes. I would suggest the ones that come with strong cardboard dividers in them. I only wrapped my really nice bottles in paper, the regular stuff, I relied on the card board dividers for most of my collection.

The one major piece of advice I can give you is to get some good packing tape and reinforce the bottoms of the boxes. Don't rely solely on the original tape or glue. Some packaging is better than others, but I'd hate to pick a box up only to have the bottom fall out. If you have the room, I'd avoid stacking the boxes on each other as well, but that may not be an option, luckily my move was local so I had that option to make 2 trips with the booze. If you are going to stack, I'd fill the tops up with news paper so there are no gaps that could get squished on your boxes.
    All good advice. I did this a couple of times in the last few years. My advice? Don't move. We call it a bunker for a reason. It was a huge pain in the ass for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dannabis View Post
    Travelling 2000 miles over land by personal truck/suv..
    You might also want to leave some storage room in your SUV and consider pre-mapping stores to visit along your route and without a doubt the only way to move 2000 miles from NJ requires you to drive slowly through Ky. If you're a W12 & OWA fan I would suggest that you include Tx in your plan because everything Weller grows on trees there or so I've been told.