Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Virtuoso

New Barton Bourbons

Sazerac got label approval for a new line of bourbons that appear to be from Barton. The new line is called "1792" and includes five expressions: a small batch, a single barrel, a wheater, a high rye recipe and a 125 proof bourbon. They are all NAS.

Advanced Taster

Re: New Barton Bourbons

No more 6's and now quite the increase in price I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru

Just call it something else and raise the price. That's how restaurants can charge more for polenta than grits.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

I give em credit for using the term "full proof" - that's smart. Don't have to bother with batches and proof changes constantly, but still "feels like" barrel proof (and probably pretty darn close to it at 125). From an operational process efficiency perspective, I have to admire it (and if it isn't outrageous, I'll probably buy one just to try).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Just call it something else and raise the price. That's how restaurants can charge more for polenta than grits.
    Yeh I have seen a few 'dried plum' muffins and simmilar things at cafes - guess its not so trendy for hipsters to photograph and blog about eating PRUNES

Trippah and Admin

Poor analogy.

Polenta and grits are both made from corn, but have many differences (corn type, processing, etc) so they are not the same at all.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Culinarily speaking they are quite similar (Italians got corn from North America in the first place though before that they made polenta with other grains) the difference being primarily in the grind. I believe though the highest and best use for ground corn is making Bourbon.

Trippah and Admin

Culinarily speaking they are quite similar (Italians got corn from North America in the first place though before that they made polenta with other grains) the difference being primarily in the grind. I believe though the highest and best use for ground corn is making Bourbon.
    That's like saying all hot cereals are the same as they are cooked grains that you eat with a spoon...but it's not what you posted above. You didn't say that they were similar, you said that they were different in name only and that's not the case.

Grits are made with dent corn (the bourbon connection), polenta from flint corn. Hominy grits are from dried corn that has undergone an alkali process, polenta is not alkali treated.

I understand that with your volume of posts there's bound to make a mistake here and there and I hope to save a southerner some money if they order polenta expecting grits.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Yes, imported polenta is made from flint corn but domestic producers use dent corn for corn meal, grits and polenta the difference being the grind.

No, I don't think most restaurant patrons can so clearly distinguish between grits or polenta if they are prepared the same way.