Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Virtuoso

Peanut Infused Whiskey

Below is a recipe from Serious Eats for making and using a peanut infused rye. Sounds intriguing anyone hear of or try this?

SALTED ROASTED PEANUT OLD FASHIONED

YIELD:
    makes 6 cocktails

Ingredients
    For the Peanut-Infused Rye:
    16 ounces rye whiskey, such as Rittenhouse 100
    1 cup shelled raw peanuts

Procedures
    For the peanut-infused rye: Preheat oven to 350F. Spread peanuts on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in oven, stirring halfway through cooking, until lightly browned and aromatic, about 20 minutes. Let cool. Combine rye and roasted peanuts in an airtight container and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain peanuts through a cheesecloth-lined strainer set over a medium bowl, then strain Peanut-Infused Rye once more through fresh cheesecloth to remove any sediment.

Note: I didn't copy the rest of the recipe on building an Old Fashioned out of this, but here is the link for full credit to the source material:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ef=daily-title
    Last edited by Old Dusty; 08-01-2014 at 17:35.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Novice

Re: Peanut Infused Whiskey

What with all the straining and cheesecloth and such it looks like they skipped a step where you'd chop the nuts before adding them to the rye. If you were making an orgeat you'd certainly chop the nuts, so I don't see why you'd keep them intact here, unless chopping them would make the peanut taste too strong. It sounds kind of interesting, though I think it could be better if you smoked the nuts first.
    I wouldn't be sitting in a place like this drinking raw corn...I'd be over at the country club, drinking bonded bourbon.

Guru

Not quite, but I did peanut/peanut butter infused bourbon - and really liked it. I just heated the peanuts up in a sautee pan until they started to brown, and then put them (still hot) into a jar with some bourbon. I also threw in some peanut butter for good measure, and strained it out after a couple of days. I'd bet that would be good with rye as well!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

This inspired me to try some more peanut/peanut butter infused bourbon. Used some 1792, and pretty happy with the results! I sauteed some dry, unroasted peanuts prior (releasing just a bit of oil and a good deal of aroma), and put them (still hot!) right into a jar with the 1792. I also threw about 2 Tbsp of peanut butter in with it as well, and let it steep for 8 days. The peanut oil was visible, so I put the jar in the freezer to help harden those bits before straining through cheesecloth, and then twice through a coffee filter. Result looks like bourbon (just a touch of cloudiness), and the flavor is fairly well balanced. The nose is a bit heavy on the peanut, but the palate is wonderful!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Apprentice

I tried the recipe for the peanut infused old fashion. I find the peanut taste very interesting but find the salt added in the recipe to be way to strong. If I ever try this again, I will start with a quarter of the salt and add a little at a time to taste. I'm afraid I am going to have to dump this batch.

Thanks for posting about this though. I might try some other cocktails using the peanut infused bourbon.