Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

If you're on an Aperol kick you might want to try subbing it for Campari in a Boulevardier, as a pal of mine likes to do.
    I wouldn't be sitting in a place like this drinking raw corn...I'd be over at the country club, drinking bonded bourbon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
    If you're on an Aperol kick you might want to try subbing it for Campari in a Boulevardier, as a pal of mine likes to do.
    Yes, have done so on many occasions. I tend to prefer it with Aperol but I admittedly have never taken a shine to Campari despite my best efforts. It is a rare drink where Campari works for me. Not that Aperol is always an adequate substitution as they are fairly different.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Novice

The Campari's fine with me, but I tend to halve the recipe and use an amaro for the other half. So far I've enjoyed it with Cynar, Nonino, and Nandino. So to be clear, 2oz rye (or sometimes bourbon), 1 oz. Carpano Antica, 1/2 oz. Campari, 1/2 oz amaro of your choice. I guess that's really a 1794 if I'm being picky, but I still tend to think of it as a Boulevardier and much prefer the version with more rye.
    I wouldn't be sitting in a place like this drinking raw corn...I'd be over at the country club, drinking bonded bourbon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
    The Campari's fine with me, but I tend to halve the recipe and use an amaro for the other half. So far I've enjoyed it with Cynar, Nonino, and Nandino. So to be clear, 2oz rye (or sometimes bourbon), 1 oz. Carpano Antica, 1/2 oz. Campari, 1/2 oz amaro of your choice. I guess that's really a 1794 if I'm being picky, but I still tend to think of it as a Boulevardier and much prefer the version with more rye.
    Yes, rye suggests the 1794 although I find the mole bitters to be significant in that drink. I have also tried a variation that leaves out both Campari and vermouth all together and replaces it with Cynar, Bonal and a dash of orange bitters (1.5 rye or bourbon, .75 each Cynar and Bonal).

Although at that point I suppose you have a third cousin twice removed from the Boulevardier family!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Yes, rye suggests the 1794 although I find the mole bitters to be significant in that drink. I have also tried a variation that leaves out both Campari and vermouth all together and replaces it with Cynar, Bonal and a dash of orange bitters (1.5 rye or bourbon, .75 each Cynar and Bonal).
    Although at that point I suppose you have a third cousin twice removed from the Boulevardier family!
    Bruce, what was "The Left Hand" that you made at Sampler? Related to the Boulevardier too yes? It was really tasty.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Bruce, what was "The Left Hand" that you made at Sampler? Related to the Boulevardier too yes? It was really tasty.
    Yes, The Left Hand cocktail is basically just a Boulevardier with the addition of Xocolatl mole bitters

The Left Hand

1½ to 2 oz. bourbon (EC12 is nice here)
    ¾ oz. Sweet vermouth (Carpano, Cocchi de Torino or for an even more bitter edge try Punt e Mes)
    ¾ oz. Campari
    2 dashes Bitter Truth Xocolatl Mole bitters (or other chocolate bitters)

Virtuoso

Thanks, lack the chocolate bitters. Will remedy that this weekend. Which vermouth were you pouring in Bardstown?
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Enthusiast

Boulevardier talk got me cravin!

Enjoying one tonight with EC12, dolin and cynar, i also dont really care for campari, i feel its best suited to tall drinks on ice

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Thanks, lack the chocolate bitters. Will remedy that this weekend. Which vermouth were you pouring in Bardstown?
    Most likely Carpano Antica as it is my usual go to but don't remember for certain. The Cocchi de Torino would likely be a nice variation though and is probably a bit cheaper if you can find it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Boulevardier talk got me cravin!

Enjoying one tonight with EC12, dolin and cynar, i also dont really care for campari, i feel its best suited to tall drinks on ice
    Yes, I find Cynar to be a nice substitute although it does make it a bit of a different drink.