Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Kentucky Governor's Bourbon Bet

In anticipation of the upcoming Kentucky/Wisconsin Final Four game (mods - please move this thread if you think it's more appropriate elsewhere), I see that Kentucky's governor has put up a "basket of bourbon" against Wisconsin's "beer, brats and cheese". The bourbon is described in the article I read as coming in half a Maker's Mark barrel and includes MM, JB, EW, WT, 4R, WR and Town Branch (specific bottlings from each distillery not identified). In other words, it appears the gov is going with the Kentucky Distillers Association/Kentucky Bourbon Trail group, as Buffalo Trace is conspicuous by its absence. Obviously there are other Kentucky producers who are unrepresented as well.

I find it interesting not only that the Kentucky gov (sorry, don't remember his name) seems to be siding with one industry group over others, but also that these two governors are so conspicuously betting alcohol on the outcome. Thoughts?

By the way, I'll definitely be cheering for my Badgers, although I realize I'm likely outnumbered on this forum as there are more Kentucky SB members than those from America's Dairyland. The Wildcats' size and athleticism also scare the crap out of me. That said, go Bucky!

Guru

Re: Kentucky Governor's Bourbon Bet

It would appear that the guv has taken sides, although it might have more to do with contributions or golf partners.

As for the basketball games I have no dislikes or likes in the final four. Just hoping for well played games.

Guru

I doubt he ever even thought about it. Was probably just offered to him by the KDA. All I know is that our basket is waaaaay better. You Badgers need to throw a lil sweetener in there!

Taster

If Wisco wins I'm glad Walker won't get any top shelf hooch.

Guru

Wisky's basket does seem a little light. What you should ask for are some offensive lineman for your football team.

Enthusiast

Yeah, details were sorely lacking on the Wisconsin end of things, the article just said "beer, brats and cheese". We have quantity and quality for each category in our state, but I agree, at first blush it sure appears we're getting the better end of the deal.

Guru

Years ago I asked an old gent from Eastern Kentucky why there was such an emphasis on basketball in his region. His reply was there wasn't a flat piece of land there big enough for a football field.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Trippah and Admin

There was a pic of the half barrel and bourbon on Twitter earlier this week but I'll be darned if I can find it. I recall a bottle on the back right that I couldn't ID and assumed it was BT...perhaps not.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

It's on the Bourbon Trail Facebook page. That bottle is EWSB.
    Jim

Connoisseur

If fresh cheese curds and Usinger's sausages are part of the deal, it's a toss up on who has the better end of the bet.
    Tyler